Well guys, I'm done
Mar 29, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Similar experience here. I went from a Lite + DPS to the MPX3 Slam with Blackgates and a stepped attenuator and the difference is surprising. The Lite was a great amp, but it just doesn't have that life-like sound that the Singlepower offers up in spades.

Exactly. I am more and more convinced I did the right buy.

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 29
Congrats Inter, you are lucky indeed
eggosmile.gif
580smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

As you know I have ordered mine, which in a very suprisingly way didnt worked and was missing a screw in the right side of the front faceplate, and he had a thing inside that got loose. Lucky me, Mekhail was very quick in respond and my new amp is allready ready for (and just about to) ship.

BTW, we have got exactly the same amps, MPX3 SLAm with Black Gate Cathode Caps and Jensen Coupling Caps. as well as 220v Transformers :)
I guess mikhail is addressing the same upgrades to Metal Music lovers, or we just asked for the same audio signature.
icon10.gif

Have funn with your new Headamp, and may the force be with you (untill the next upgrade)
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
..."How long did it take for Mikhail to build & ship it? What do you think of the tone control?"...

That looks like an input selector to me. IIRC, some SLAM amps have a "texture control", regulating the amount of feed-back in the circuit. However, this one doesn't look like one. Inter, congratulations to a fine amp! Make sure you give it a considerable burn-in time before passing final judgement.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the switch.

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
That looks like an input selector to me. IIRC, some SLAM amps have a "texture control", regulating the amount of feed-back in the circuit. However, this one doesn't look like one. Inter, congratulations to a fine amp! Make sure you give it a considerable burn-in time before passing final judgement.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the switch.

I also thought it was an input selector, but it appears to be a gain switch.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow
Congrats Inter, you are lucky indeed
eggosmile.gif
580smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

As you know I have ordered mine, which in a very suprisingly way didnt worked and was missing a screw in the right side of the front faceplate, and he had a thing inside that got loose. Lucky me, Mekhail was very quick in respond and my new amp is allready ready for (and just about to) ship.

BTW, we have got exactly the same amps, MPX3 SLAm with Black Gate Cathode Caps and Jensen Coupling Caps. as well as 220v Transformers :)
I guess mikhail is addressing the same upgrades to Metal Music lovers, or we just asked for the same audio signature.
icon10.gif

Have funn with your new Headamp, and may the force be with you (untill the next upgrade)
tongue.gif

Thanks! And yeah, I told Mikhail that I listen to alot of harder stuff, so I suppose if you do the same, he probably knew what he was talking about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Sorry bout that, mistook the the volume control for the tone control. My mistake
smily_headphones1.gif

The "tone control" as I call it is sort of a "warmth dial". It's an optional addition to Singlepower amps.

I thought it was a Feedback control...

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 29
Great stuff. I just collected mine from the post office yesterday. Looks like we all have the same upgrades.

It's much bigger than I expected but it looks great. Too bad the transformer for the 230v units do not look as nice as the ones in the 110v units. No cover I believe.

The two knobs on the front control the volume and input.

Unfortuntately, I will not be able to enjoy it as I will be travelling for work for the next two weeks. Aaaargh! Since the 5687 adaptors and tubes will be shipping later, I guess that will give me something to look forward to when I come back home.
icon10.gif

Initial impressions.

After running it in for 6 hours, the sound is both spacious and warm. Compared to the Perreaux and X-Can v3, the high frequency extension is a little reserved. More burn in!

Tried it with the Grados (RS1/325i) and 650/Zu and I prefer the Senns by far.

Will try to arrange some burn in while I am away and post more impressions when I get back.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #23 of 29
I've had the same impression as you pretty much. The highs are still not quite as I would like them, but the amp hasn't been burnt in for more than about 20 hours so far, so there's still some sonic changes going on I would presume. If it doesn't change all that much until the process is done, I suppose I should start looking for other tubes (which I am gonna do anyway).

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
If it doesn't change all that much until the process is done, I suppose I should start looking for other tubes (which I am gonna do anyway).

So I guess you're NOT "done". lol

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #25 of 29
One last post before I leave for the airport.

Managed to get one NOS Ken Rad 6SN7 and replaced it with the EH.

Things are looking better. The detail has come back and the bass is better controlled.

Gotta go!

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #27 of 29
Mikhail is one of the true "gentlemen" in this hobby. He's passionate about what he does, and I've thoroughly enjoyed speaking with him. I might add that he takes great pride in the product he puts out. Having said that, I must confess to having recenly joined team Singlepower, and my biggest regret is not doing so much, much earlier!! The problem I now face is that the MPX3 slam has simply wet my appetite to try more of his offerings! I see a balanced amp from higher in the Singlepower food chain from Mikhail in my future!
very_evil_smiley.gif

rig004.jpg

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn
So I guess you're NOT "done". lol

You got me. (And I appear to not be done!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Mikhail is one of the true "gentlemen" in this hobby. He's passionate about what he does, and I've thoroughly enjoyed speaking with him. I might add that he takes great pride in the product he puts out. Having said that, I must confess to having recenly joined team Singlepower, and my biggest regret is not doing so much, much earlier!! The problem I now face is that the MPX3 slam has simply wet my appetite to try more of his offerings! I see a balanced amp from higher in the Singlepower food chain from Mikhail in my future!
very_evil_smiley.gif

rig004.jpg

Beautiful!

But aren't those out-puts 6BX7GT's? If so, you must have a true dynamic muscle-bundle there with that CKR VT-231 as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back