Well-equipped PC vs dedicated CD player?
Jun 29, 2005 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
So I've got a EMU 0404, and I'm playing everything in Apple Lossless from my Hard drive to my PPA amp through sheilded RCAs. If I was to get a dedicated CD player at around $300 to $500 (NAD, Marantz, etc) what kind of improvements could I expect?

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 4
it'll use less power
wink.gif
cd player will always be quieter than a computer. if you have open phones it's actually a nice improvement... but then you have to start soundproofing your room, wishing you had a button to make all outside activity stop so you can have silence
wink.gif

maybe not true sonic improvements, but notable points at least. it's hard to appreciate true black silence when there's always some motor noise from the computer in the background.

my cd player sleeps next to me in my bed, I can't say that the computer would make a nice bedfellow in comparison, always snoring!
lambda.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 4
at that price level I dont think you would notice that much of an improvement. The only big change would be the ability to put you setup where ever you want (ie next to you in bed) ... I actually just went from a cdp to a dedicated PC rig since I do almost all of my listening while at my computer...

if you do decide to go that route I would consider the Onix XCD-88 with opa627 op amp mod... It will best many players that cost much more.

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 4
What xantus said. I don't think there'd be any other real improvements between those two unless something was wrong with the way your music was ripped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back