Well-built IEM to replace my Shure E3's
Mar 1, 2010 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Irregular Joe

New Head-Fier
More than four years after purchasing my Shure E3's (how the IEM market has expanded since then!), the right cable at the ear started to crackle, and now it is completely dead. I'm looking for a replacement IEM in the $100-140 range (and I really don't want to spend any more).

I'll be using these primarily for running and working out, as well as other portable uses (but I guess that almost goes without saying). Build quality and comfort are my primary concerns, and good sound quality (across most genres) that doesn't require an amp is desired.

I have several unused Shure olive tips that I would love to use on my next pair of IEMs, which initially drew me towards the se310's; however, I then noticed here (in the Compatibility tab) that a lot of different brands should fit Shure tips.

From that list, do you have any standout suggestions? I'm still looking at the se310's but wouldn't mind trying out a different brand (maybe at a higher bang-for-buck); the Westone 1's seem to be like a good choice, as I have read that they are both durable and comfortable.

Your suggestions are highly appreciated!
smile.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 9
The HJE900 has gotten good reviews and seems to have solid build quality. In that range you might be able to get a pair of Triple.fi 10s (if you look hard, maybe). I upgraded from the E3C to the RE0 and the sound is much better, but the cables are thinner and inspire less confidence. The actual RE0 housings are sturdy.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I think all three use the larger tip size (they use T400 comply tips as opposed to the smaller T100 for the Shure). They can use the black shure foamies (olives), but you have to take out the inner silicone core first.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irregular Joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any more ideas, folks?

You might consider the Etymotic HF5s. Uses the same tips as the E3s, with isolation that is "as good" or better. The Etymotics also come with their tri-flange tips, which I like very much.

Having used both, the E3s had a much more mid-centric EQ, while the HF5s have better clarity all around. Different experience, but both great IEMs.

Hope that helps.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 9
The HF5 is definitely one to look at. They don't see too much love around here for some reason, but from what I've read they're comparable to the RE0 but with more isolation (IMO one of the shortcomings of the RE0). Actually, etymotic should be releasing a new line of lower cost headphones very soon (MC3 I think?) with similar isolation. Quality may not be as good.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 9
How is the build quality of the HF5s? I'm especially curious about the cables.

I'm still curious if there are any IEMs with cables of similar build quality as the (reportedly well-built) Westone 1's at a similar price point. I would've probably already ordered the Westone 1's if various reviews of its sound quality were more flattering (aside from earphonesolutions.com, which almost seems to be commissioned by Westone).

Also, any comparisons of IEMs to Shure E3s are appreciated (thanks, yipcanjo!), as it is the only IEM I've ever used.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Q-Jays, HF5, JVC FX500, HJE900, RE0, UE SF5 and Sony EX500.........

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 9
I caved and purchased the Klipsch S4s. Even though the cables are reportedly a little on the thin side, a 2 year warranty at an $80 price tag is enough to make me okay with that. Plus, they will fit my old Shure tips.

Hopefully by the time that the S4s die I'll have enough money for some nicer IEMs.
smile.gif

Thanks, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back