Welcome to the Vinyl Jungle
Dec 17, 2006 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
Ahhhh the analog sounds of a rock being scraped over a piece of pressed plastic. Can't beat it. I was bound to get here at some point. I've resisted it for awhile, mostly due to cost and upkeep hassle and the pesky need to flip over something when 1/2 the album is over.

But a friend mentioned the new Rega P1 turntable, it's great price and the fact that it's plug and play...so off I went to the local Hi-Fi shop to greet my smiling Rega dealer.

Of course so thread is complete without pics:

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

This is my first real dive into hi-end vinyl and it's a budget entry for sure, but so far, I gotta say, not bad at all. I'm running it through my Denon integrated receiver and using the tape loop out to my SRM-1/Mk 2 into my Lambda Pros. I guess I need to build a phono stage now....it never ends
lambda.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 12
Only the 5, not even the 5E? Then I'd rather recommend to change the needle to needle 10 or needle 20, if possible (not completely sure, whether that also works with the body of the 5, though - but at least the bodies for 10 up to 40 are identical (both the older OM (including the OMB variants (B for bulk version)) and the newer OM Super bodies each; you'd best ask your dealer to make sure...), before investing in a new phono stage (especially as Denon's integrated ones are usually not that bad at all...).

Greetings from Munich & welcome to vinyl!

Manfred / lini

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhhh the analog sounds of a rock being scraped over a piece of pressed plastic. Can't beat it. I was bound to get here at some point. I've resisted it for awhile, mostly due to cost and upkeep hassle and the pesky need to flip over something when 1/2 the album is over.

But a friend mentioned the new Rega P1 turntable, it's great price and the fact that it's plug and play...so off I went to the local Hi-Fi shop to greet my smiling Rega dealer.

Of course so thread is complete without pics:

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

This is my first real dive into hi-end vinyl and it's a budget entry for sure, but so far, I gotta say, not bad at all. I'm running it through my Denon integrated receiver and using the tape loop out to my SRM-1/Mk 2 into my Lambda Pros. I guess I need to build a phono stage now....it never ends
lambda.gif

Nice looking tonearm,(I have a weakness for Rega tonearms).If you are looking for a Phono Stage to build,you could do a lot worse than a Hagerman Technolog Bugle.

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 12
The P1 is a fine entry level table, I believe that its closely related in construction to the Goldring 1.2 and the Debut III. I would recommend a stylus or cart upgrade before a phono stage one.

It looks to be noticeably larger in surface area than my Xpression, what are the dimensions?

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 12
WELCOME ABOARD TEAM VINYL!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I'd rather recommend to change the needle to needle 10 or needle 20, if possible (not completely sure, whether that also works with the body of the 5, though - but at least the bodies for 10 up to 40 are identical (both the older OM (including the OMB variants (B for bulk version))

From the look of it, I think the 10, 20, 30 , or 40 stylus would fit...all of the cartridges look the saem, but I will ask. I also have a Grado black lying around here that I could pop on as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
Nice looking tonearm,(I have a weakness for Rega tonearms).If you are looking for a Phono Stage to build,you could do a lot worse than a Hagerman Technolog Bugle.

Yep, I'm looking at that or at a Pass DIY Pearl Phono.

Duggeh: It's 17.5" X 14"

It's screaming to be rewired as far as the RCA outs are concerned....might upgrade the power cord as well, but at the very least the RCA wires are going to get an upgrade...eventually, I need to get used to it first.

Tom Hankins: Glad to be here
lambda.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The output level of the phono cartridge is so incredibly low, shouldn't the quality of the RCA cables be almost irrelevant? It's probably decently shielded, and therefore should suffice.

Actually,tonearm and turntable wiring is the most critical in an audio system.

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, I spent the weekend listening to a lot of vinyl I haven't spent much time with for years. I'm impressed. Here's the chain:

Rega P1>Denon integrated, tape loop out>SRM-1/Mk2>Lambda Pros

Gotta say that I can't believe I waited this long to really go vinyl with my headphone rig. There are some short comings, but nothing that $200 can't fix. I need some more vibration control, so a slab of maple and some isolation blocks are on the way. Plus I think a cartidge upgrade is in the near future. I'm thinking about the Ortofon OM 10 since it lets me go to the 20 and 30 stylus with the same cartridge.

But all in all, for $350, it's a pretty sweet little TT; perfectly priced for my existing vinyl collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back