Welcome back AKG K-501 !!
Sep 4, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #196 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
(the 501 is A DAMN GOOD DEAL AT $90!!!!!)
rolleyes.gif

where are you getting them from this price ?

Sep 4, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #197 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Oh man,

those K-500's sure do look nice!

Yup, but the K500 didn't sound as smooth as the K400 - whereas it's vice versa with the K501 and K401.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #198 of 239
And I've heard that that the K271 Studio's are a step up from the aging 501. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with that?
confused.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #200 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
There's no right and wrong way to listen to music and if your ears like a predominantly bass heavy presentation then the K-501 is not for you, if you want to be presented with proportional bass / mid and treble and get an overall balanced view of the recording then the AKG K-501 cannot be overlooked.

EDIT: It must also be stressed that these headphones really give their best if fed a good diet of current ( an amp) I have mine amped and honestly can't understand why anyone would find them to be "lacking" in bass
confused.gif
Sure they don't sound like 18 inch loudspeaker drivers strapped to my ears but would I want that?
blink.gif

I agree with you Mike. I came very close to selling my pair a few years ago (bought mine when they were "flabour of the month" here in the spring of 2002
biggrin.gif
) because I didn't have a proper amp for them. After I got them hooked on to my first META42 I decided they were definitely not going anywhere. I have to get my Gilmore up and running again because that combination was very impressive as I remenber it.

As for the bass issue, I usually compare the K501's to a pair of 2-way standmount speakers. Detail and imaging are absolutely fantastic but there's no earth-shattering bass
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Sep 5, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #201 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
And I've heard that that the K271 Studio's are a step up from the aging 501. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with that?
confused.gif

Maybe not really "wrong", esp in the bass department - but then again you get that 'closed sound' as a bonus from 271s. Still I find it amazing how this closed phones can manage bass in proportion with the mid/highs.

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #202 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
As for the bass issue, I usually compare the K501's to a pair of 2-way standmount speakers. Detail and imaging are absolutely fantastic but there's no earth-shattering bass

That's a very good way of putting it. That's how they sound to me too.

Sep 5, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #205 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by fmplautus
The AKG 501s remind me of a good British studio monitor

Good comparison. The highs and mids particularly remind me of the famous 2-way BBC near-field monitors. What were they, LS-3.5a or something like that. Spendor and who else, Rogers, made them? I think it was a Kef tweeter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingantichimp
Could the 501's be powered by my iPod?
And, follow-up, since I know the answer to that question, how expensive of an amp will it need?

Something that can source a lot of current (for a headphone amp) into a 120 ohm load.

Sep 5, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #206 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingantichimp
Could the 501's be powered by my iPod?

*snicker*

hehe...

HAHAHAHAHA! WOOO! HAHAHAAA!

HAHa... ha... hee... *snort* wheee...

oh, that was a good one!
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #207 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth

I second this analogy. To me HD580 is like a floor standing speaker. HD580 costs more and provides more bass. But under a careful comparison K501 is better in tems of tonal accuracy, details, airiness and soundsatge width. The midrange of K501 is just lovely--very musical cans indeed.

Sep 5, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #208 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
*snicker*

hehe...

HAHAHAHAHA! WOOO! HAHAHAAA!

HAHa... ha... hee... *snort* wheee...

oh, that was a good one!
biggrin.gif

Lol, even with my NJB3 it sounds bad.
iPod doesn't even have a chance!
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #209 of 239
Well, it could have been worse, he could have asked about driving a K1k from the ipod...

Sep 5, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #210 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Well, it could have been worse, he could have asked about driving a K1k from the ipod...

Now that would be a trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back