Welcome a new newbie to DIY
Aug 30, 2002 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SonicFlux

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I've been reading these and other DIY audio forums for the past week, and first I'd like to sincerely thank all of you for spending so much time posting comments and writing guides that cater to the needs of a newbie! Your input has given me enough encouragement and excitement to attempt my own DIY project and maybe start a new long-lasting hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

A little background... I have a BS in ChemE but switched to IT a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my love for computers and computer gaming has paid off more than my college education
tongue.gif
I also have a strong musical background with a "better than average ear," so I can appreciate higher-end audio equipment, but no way am I dropping 2Gs on a headphone amp! So here I am with only a few EE classes/labs under my belt (and that was 6 yrs ago), and other than modifying a few PCI cards, I've little experience. But you guys have created a great community here, and I'm sure with your guidance I'll have no problems. Maybe one day I'll be able to give back
smily_headphones1.gif

And now for my first newbie question: I'm currently buying stuff from Contact East and was wondering how many uses can you get out of a solder pump before having to replace the tip? What about a soldering iron tip?

Thanks again, and wish me luck!

SonicFlux
-----------
"DIYer-in-training"

Aug 30, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally posted by SonicFlux
how many uses can you get out of a solder pump before having to replace the tip? What about a soldering iron tip?

You can get a lot of use out of a sucker tip. I've had a cheap one for over a year now and the tip is still in fine condition. Just remember that the tip will get clogged with solder from time to time, so keep a small nail or piece of wire handy to stick in it to unclog it.

If you are really worried that you'd be stuck without a replacement in case one wears out, you could buy two and see how long the first one lasts before you replace it, same goes for the soldering tip.

Just be sure to keep the iron tip clean with a wet sponge. While you are soldering, rub it in the wet sponge from time to time to make sure that it stays nice and shiney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back