Weird windows problem
Feb 8, 2011 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
Need some help guys.

I've been experiencing a recurring problem today. A small windows like thing pops up - and I can't seem to close it. There are no obvious ways to close it (either from the window itself or from the toolbar) and windows task manager does not show it as an application.

I intend to do a virus scan just to be sure, but would welcome any recommendations. Thanks.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 16
hmm... Try posting the whole list from the task manager's process tab. I've seen something like that before. I think I would be able to identify that thing from the list. After that you kill the process.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 16
That system looks to be running too many processes for it's own good. As well as being a rather insecure and low performing OS for audio purposes.

Is an upgrade to Windows 7 a viable option?

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 16
Not much of a tech person ... so what do you mean by "rather insecure" ?

With regards to upgrade, it is something I would like but I'm a bit low of $$ at the moment, so that will have to wait unfortunately.

Quote:
That system looks to be running too many processes for it's own good. As well as being a rather insecure and low performing OS for audio purposes.

Is an upgrade to Windows 7 a viable option?

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 16
I think mom.exe is a malware, if not the malware. I've seen that particular process a lot when I looked at infected computers. If I were you I would use a different antivirus like kaspersky(yeah avast is good enough but your computer deserves a better one seeing your computer spec is rather high) and do a full scan.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 16
I checked MOM.exe before ... well, from what I gather it is an ATI Catalyst Center process, so it should be ok?? Oh well, will do a Malwarebytes scan then ...

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 16
OK. Downloaded and installed. There is a bit too much info for me to digest at the moment in the Process Explorer main window. Are there any guides on how to use this piece of software? To my layman eyes, there aren't procesess that are obvious to me that I can kill.

Quote:
Mom.exe could also be the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

You do have too much stuff running in the background. Try running Process Explorer.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 16
The core of XP is inherently less secure than newer OSes like Vista and 7 (they both share the same kernel). And unless you have a rather old computer (earlier than 2005), you can get Windows 7 without fear, as it will work perfectly, more stable and more secure than XP ever was.

I agree with yooss, while Avast is an ok antivirus, it does let things slip through. You should try Avira antivirus, and pairing it with an aftermarket firewall of your choosing, as the one that comes with XP is just plain awful.

Is a format an option? Because from my experience, the best thing is really to learn from the mistakes you've made, have a clean install and avoid repeating said mistakes in the future.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 16
I did full system scan with Avast and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware last night and both returned nothing. I am behind a wireless router (pretty old one though) and have ZoneAlarm Free installed.

I was thinking about the reformat too if all else fails. Shall see if the problem I experienced yesterday is a recurring one ...

Quote:
The core of XP is inherently less secure than newer OSes like Vista and 7 (they both share the same kernel). And unless you have a rather old computer (earlier than 2005), you can get Windows 7 without fear, as it will work perfectly, more stable and more secure than XP ever was.

I agree with yooss, while Avast is an ok antivirus, it does let things slip through. You should try Avira antivirus, and pairing it with an aftermarket firewall of your choosing, as the one that comes with XP is just plain awful.

Is a format an option? Because from my experience, the best thing is really to learn from the mistakes you've made, have a clean install and avoid repeating said mistakes in the future.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 16
The worse case is that avast is infected and doesn't detect new threats. A nice running computer just doesn't have that many processes imho.

Really, get windows 7 (any edition except starter), it's leagues beyond what you're using. Install all the necessary drivers, then Avira and firewall (curiously, the integrated firewall of win7 is not so bad), download and install all windows updates, and you'll have a machine more secure than anything you've used so far
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
OK. Downloaded and installed. There is a bit too much info for me to digest at the moment in the Process Explorer main window. Are there any guides on how to use this piece of software? To my layman eyes, there aren't procesess that are obvious to me that I can kill.

In Process Explorer click on the cross-hairs icon on the toolbar, then select that mystery window.

Process Explorer will then tell you which process is responsible for that window. If it's suspicious you can then end the process, follow it up, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back