Weird video issue with PC
Nov 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I got back from school and for some reason there was no video on my monitor. My PC was still running, and I didn't get a "no video signal" warning either. I did a hard restart and it's working fine now. I'm not sure if I've ever had this issue before, and the event viewer isn't really telling me much.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 34
I'm not sharing as I am looking for some input as to what may have happened, mkay? And now that I think about it, this has happened before, but I'm not sure what the events surrounding it were.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 34
I checked, and I don't believe so. I pushed it in a bit with the PC running, and nothing occurred. Also tried running a game, and no errors.

EDIT: Is it possible this is just a driver issue, as opposed to hardware based?

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked, and I don't believe so. I pushed it in a bit with the PC running, and nothing occurred. Also tried running a game, and no errors.

EDIT: Is it possible this is just a driver issue, as opposed to hardware based?

Could be either, but it most likely indicates that it's a hardware-based issue.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 34
The display driver could have crashed, I've had a few black screens while playing games on the latest Nvidia drivers. Haven't had it happen at the desktop on an idle machine though.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 34
Might be a hardware issue. I remember a time where my old NVidia Ti4200 overheated and the screen "melted"- each individual column of pixels fell towards the bottom of the screen at different speeds.

I'd try updating the driver first though.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 34
Thing is I'm on really old ATI drivers. I checked the event viewer, and there was something about Ati Smart initializing. Could it also have something to do with my anti-virus, NOD32?

Quote:

Could be either, but it most likely indicates that it's a hardware-based issue.

I really hope it's not. Just played Last Remnant for half an hour and nothing.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 34
I think your computer is probably overworked and under appreciated. I suggest giving it a large drink of water (or beer, or cola) and a churro.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 34
Is your PC set to sleep or hibernate after a certain time? Sometimes Windows has a hard time waking up for some reason.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 34
No, and I leave my PC on sleep every night. I do believe I've had this issue before and it resolved itself, but that may just be hopeful wishing.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 34
Could be driver issue if the picture came back when you rebooted, but the short power out might have resolved the possible hardware situation as well, so I couldn't say. Update the drivers for starters.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 34
Yeah, I'll do it on the next reboot. I'm just sketchy when it comes to (official) ATI drivers, so I'll read up on the latest ones and hope they're good. (New games run fine for the most part, though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back