Weird Thing happen to washed headphone ?
Jan 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

xatlx

Head-Fier
This morning when i was bringing my cloth back from the laundry and i found out that one of my buds was in the washer and the dryer Model number: MDR-AS40EX, its a sony bud. i was testing to see if its still works and it surprise me, let me explain.

Model number: MDR-AS40EX
Bass was very un-control (booming )
Treble was very low

the SQ from these headphone were bad... very bad....

HOWEVER after all that happen i listen to them again and they are a world of difference.

Model number: MDR-AS40EX (after wash/dry machine)
Bass was up to par with my Mile Davis - Tribute
Treble was forward like my TF10

Overall the these buds SQ changed so dramatically, i was surprised

Anyone have an explaination to this ?

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 16
That definitely is weird, but I would explain it by the fact that in most headphones the vibrating membrane is made out of a particular density of cellophane. Since cellophane is basically very thin plastic, it is subjective to heat and to a lesser extent to moisture/pressure. I believe if the heat was applied to it, then the membrane would "melt" or soften a bit, and become less taught. That would most likely reduce the treble and increase bass (because the membrane is less taut it can vibrate slower, resonating more of the base frequencies, and less of the treble). When you let it dry it might shrink back to normal due to the material's intrinsic memory (therefore giving back almost same sound except geared slightly towards the bassy side, which most people prefer thus making them sound "better" (within the same tone range only shifted). Or maybe not, who knows :wink:

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
That definitely is weird, but I would explain it by the fact that in most headphones the vibrating membrane is made out of a particular density of cellophane. Since cellophane is basically very thin plastic, it is subjective to heat and to a lesser extent to moisture/pressure. I believe if the heat was applied to it, then the membrane would "melt" or soften a bit, and become less taught. That would most likely reduce the treble and increase bass (because the membrane is less taut it can vibrate slower, resonating more of the base frequencies, and less of the treble). When you let it dry it might shrink back to normal due to the material's intrinsic memory (therefore giving back almost same sound except geared slightly towards the bassy side, which most people prefer thus making them sound "better" (within the same tone range only shifted). Or maybe not, who knows :wink:

You sir expanded my knowledge

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 16
It happened to me as well. it was a long time ago but i remember that sound at least didnt sound worst and the treble was crispier.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 16
I would think washing the headphones would produce a much CLEANER sound.
beyersmile.png

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back