Weird sounds, random pattern, is it a faulty tube?
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

exSpire

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I've been using the Aune T1 for a few years now and I've been getting some weird sounds since yesterday. It's connected to my PC so at first I thought it could be software related, but after switching to the onboard sound card, the weird noise is gone.
It's very hard to describe this noise but its only coming out of the right channel, its very short and sounds like a mechanical beep. I couldn't find a pattern, it seems quite random to me: I wouldn't hear it for quite a while but then it would "beep" like five times in five seconds, althought usually its 1-2 beeps once a while. Not sure about this part but it seems to occur only when there's no other sound playing, I have yet to hear this noise while there's anything playing.
Could it be that I need to replace my tube or something? (It's the MK2 version with the default tube that came with it)

Thanks in advance,
Daniel.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm far from being a tube expert but issues with only 1 channel are probably tube related or DAC related. It could be interference. You said you switched to the sound card and it stopped, what were you connected to before that? If switching made it stop then it's probably not the tube. Perhaps an external dac could help.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Beforehand my headphones were connected to the Aune T1. And yes, I also tried different headphones.

Thanks
Ah sorry I missed that! What if it's a dac issue :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm far from being a tube expert but issues with only 1 channel are probably tube related or DAC related. It could be interference. You said you switched to the sound card and it stopped, what were you connected to before that? If switching made it stop then it's probably not the tube. Perhaps an external dac could help.

His amp only uses a single tube. Both channels go through the same tube so it's a bit harder to diagnose with that method.

Hello everyone,
I've been using the Aune T1 for a few years now and I've been getting some weird sounds since yesterday. It's connected to my PC so at first I thought it could be software related, but after switching to the onboard sound card, the weird noise is gone.
It's very hard to describe this noise but its only coming out of the right channel, its very short and sounds like a mechanical beep. I couldn't find a pattern, it seems quite random to me: I wouldn't hear it for quite a while but then it would "beep" like five times in five seconds, althought usually its 1-2 beeps once a while. Not sure about this part but it seems to occur only when there's no other sound playing, I have yet to hear this noise while there's anything playing.
Could it be that I need to replace my tube or something? (It's the MK2 version with the default tube that came with it)

Thanks in advance,
Daniel.

If you've been using it for a long time, the tube has probably just gone bad. I'd try replacing it but before that, I'd recommend to isolate the issue to your amp first. Just to be safe.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 7
First, thanks for all the help :)

I don't have a dedicated amp, I'm only using the Aune T1 which is both. As I understand it uses the tube for the DAC and the amp is a simple solid state one that's built in, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Is it possible to use the Aune T1 as an amp only, in order to isolate the issue?

By the way, I did get a new mouse recently and I have changed the order of things connected to the motherboard. Is it possible that this issue was produced by plugging the AuneT1 to a different USB port? (It was and still is connected directly to the motherboard, just possibly another port, which could be handled by another chip on the motherboard).

Thanks again! <3

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 7
First, thanks for all the help :)

I don't have a dedicated amp, I'm only using the Aune T1 which is both. As I understand it uses the tube for the DAC and the amp is a simple solid state one that's built in, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Is it possible to use the Aune T1 as an amp only, in order to isolate the issue?

By the way, I did get a new mouse recently and I have changed the order of things connected to the motherboard. Is it possible that this issue was produced by plugging the AuneT1 to a different USB port? (It was and still is connected directly to the motherboard, just possibly another port, which could be handled by another chip on the motherboard).

Thanks again! <3

Well you could isolate it to that device at least. Try it with a different source, maybe another laptop or a phone to see if the issue still occurs. If it does, it's probably the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back