Weird Result | DIY 2.5mm Balanced Jack Conversion
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

thehypewan

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fians,

I'm trying to think through my latest project while sitting here at work. I discovered something strange with my current drivers: Rose Mojito using it's stock .75mm 2-pin connectors with a converted jack. I basically removed the 3.5mm jack, trimmed the audio cables back, toned them, and attached them to a 4-pole 2.5mm TRRS connector in the A&K balanced diagram:

2_5mm%2BTRRS%2Bpinout.jpg

After A LOT of fiddling with really thin wires and proper seating of the contacts...and getting all of them to read consistent resistances, I got it to work on my Fiio Q5 DAC/AMP using AM3a balanced amplifier. Everything sounded fine, I had to redo the soldering a few times to get the sound imbalance to fix itself (I believe this was due to one channel having higher resistance than the other). Once it was at a decent listening quality, I wrapped up the project.

This morning I was listening to a binaural track and noticed cross channel sound.

Now I am typing here at work a little anxious to get home to troubleshoot, but I would like to hear what insight you fine people have.

9058769_thumb.png

I also used this diagram to further reinforce certainty that the AM3a balanced amp will accept this pin out will work, and believe me, it does.

BUT, this shouldn't introduce cross-channel interference. Mind that it is not static or noise, it's the source music. Imagine this: left channel is loud when testing the left channel. Testing right channel should have my left earbud silent, but instead I hear [probably at half the volume] the right channel. Vice-versa, the same. What in the world?!

I really don't know how sounds can cross between when they are deliberately separated by not sharing any common connections on the connector, what gives?

Can someone shed some light on what may be the case here? I plan to revisit this whole thing once I have a free minute at home sometime this week.

PS Just for fun: because I'm hearing channels crossed in music playback, the soundstage feels a lot smaller since the entire track can technically be heard from one earbud, further removing the stereo effect and making music sound very narrow. I have a spare cable terminated in stock 3.5mm connector for these earbuds that are the same from the one I have modded to balanced and still has superior SQ in comparison; mainly the soundstage being fairly wide and forward [my favorite attributes of these earbuds].

TL;DR modded single-ended standard 3.5mm earphones to 2.5mm balanced and I'm getting sound in both channels when testing L/R separately.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back