Weird random click in Echo Indigo
Dec 17, 2007 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe I should be posting over at HA for this, but my Echo Indigo just started making this weird clicking noise as soon as I got home. It went away when I used the laptop's standard output, but then again, the standard output sucks (plus it hisses). I'll just be listening to music and I'll hear this occasional "click" or blip in the music, random channel L/R, completely random intervals. No relation to the music itself.

I'm thinking I might have some kind of sampling option set wrong or something had set itself wrong... who knows. All I know is, there's a problem and it's annoying. If anyone has any experience with the Echo Indigo and foobar2000 and knows about this, I'd love to hear your opinion. It's possible that it was damaged in transit, but then again I kept it in its hard box and the most it would have suffered is moving around inside the box.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi there. I use the Echo Indigo DJ on my laptop. I play WMA Lossless files on J. River Media Center using the ASIO4ALL driver.

The clicking sounds you describe may result from your buffer being too small. It's most likely NOT a damaged sound card.

Using the (free) ASIO4ALL driver, I have the following settings. ASIO buffer size: 64 samples. Latency compensation: 0. Use hardware buffer: checked. Buffer offset: 2 milliseconds.

I've found that enabling the hardware buffer lets me set the ASIO buffer size to its minimum of 64 samples and the latency compensation to 0. I do need a 2-millisecond buffer offset on the hardware buffer, however, or I get the clicking noises you seem to be describing.

I'm sorry I can't speak to your exact program and driver selection and configuration.

Happy listening!

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 5
You do not need or in fact should not use ASIO4all with the Echo Indigo. The Indigo comes bundled with a native ASIO driver that works very well.

As to the noise there could be multiple reasons. You did not mention which type of computer or OS you are using but from your mention of foobar I assume it is Windows Vista? I am using the original Indigo on a thinkpad T60 with Vista Ultimate with no problems.

For Vista Echo has two different drivers available. I have made the best experience with the WaveRT driver.

Once you have that installed please be aware that you need to set the Windows output format in the Echo control panel. You can not do it on the Advanced tab foe the device in the windows audio control panel.

For ASIO there is one more step that I found will deal with random clicks. Out of the box the ASIO buffer size is set low. In order to change that you need to bring up the ASIO control panel for the Indigo card. An easy way to do that is by downloading the ASIOCAPS utility from ASIO caps - ãŠãŸã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ã®MIDI/Audioソフト.

Select the control Panel and for me a 4096 sample buffer works great for 16/44.1 as well as 24/96 material. The setting is remembered by the driver so you only have to do this once.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Cheers

Thomas

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 5
I could never get rid of occasional Indigo clicks with ASIO, using native or ASIO4ALL drivers with maxed out ASIO buffer. Eventually switched to directsound and that fixed everything.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Did you try the WaveRT driver? It runs rock solid on my Thinkpad.

A colleague of mine tried it on a Sony laptop and it kept crashing the machine. It seems pretty sensitive to the type of PCcard hardware.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back