Weird psychoacoustic phenomenon... can anyone explain?
Mar 5, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by xbkingx
Okay, if this is sarcasm, it's funny. Skip the next paragraph. If not, it's kinda sad.

Yeah. Hate to break it to you but living in a static, isolated environment makes you less intelligent, and 'might' increase some redundant skills, but not your overall skill set. It also doesn't make you more immune to placebo. This has been proven since some time around the 1950's, and you actually prove it in the second paragraph. Your brain didn't get "slower". It was bombarded by sensations and variations on sensations it had never (or rarely) experienced, and was trying to assimilate them into a cohesive framework, so that you could later build on them. Without that variety, you lack a complete picture of the playing field, and you knowledge is limited as to any conclusions you draw. If you only know the first half of the alphabet, and that's all you've been exposed to, it doesn't make you better at spelling words when you experience the rest of it. You wouldn't even be able to recognize a real word, versus a made up one.

In other words, get out more.

Yeah, that makes sense. To build a certain skill like math or physics you need to isolate yourself from other people and think by yourself, you don't want someone else to think for you or color your mind. You are easily influenced by someone else (unless you believe everyone are inferior) which makes it hard to remain neutral.
Those "geniuses" focus only on 1 thing and not on the whole picture, that's why they appear stupid to normal people. It's like when a math genius tries to cook food or something by using formulas instead of experience, it's not true intelligence, it's just obsessive skill.

To get true intelligence you need to isolate yourself to a certain skill and trying to fully understand it, and then move on to another skill. After a while you start to understand the whole picture more. I call it the "brainwashing technique" because I feel like a new person afterwards.

For example if you master body control you can use that for a lot of other things like finding the correct technique in sports, you could be the world champion in every sport...
I did a week of Quake3 brainwashing and went from beginner to pro because I already had the aiming skill mastered. Afterwards my brain was running at super speed which made music sound better and I could calculate numbers faster. A month after I quit playing Quake3 my brain is still faster than before plus it's more relaxed. I can now increase my brain speed on demand, it's a skill that I understand now. Since I'm a billiards player I can already increase arm speed on demand (video) like Bruce Lee... With more body knowledge it would be fun to increase muscle size on demand.
evil_smiley.gif

You can keep on building skills like this for a long time, it will just get easier and easier because your overall intelligence improves. After I went back to another sport that I hadn't played for a year I was much smarter and after a week had improved faster than the previous 7 years!

So to increase intelligence you need to isolate yourself to 1 skill at a time, it's like studying. For a year I have been an obsessive fasting audiophile and it has made me understand other things more. Now when I turned to a videophile the people in the forums are the same except they have a slightly different obsession. If I enter any other forum I detect a similar human behaviour and can draw conclusions easier.

If you just go outside with no purpose then you are influenced by other people and follow what they do (like fashion). But if your goal is Truth (to understand everything) then that is a skill that you need to focus on improving, and to do that you need to isolate yourself from everything else and start improving little at a time. I can't imagine myself not having Truth as my goal, it just doesn't exist for me. But in the end it doesn't matter anyway, because everyone are the same.

"Truth is inevitable. All paths eventually lead to the same destination and it doesn't matter what choice you make." - One

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #47 of 61
All this is quite interesting really. But I wanna throw in another weird experience.

I've noticed for the last couple of years, that when I...uhhh.... (oh no, I don't know the english word for it. It's like when your mouth automatically opens up when you get tired.)... then I can hear the music pitch down!
This is very weird. I've been paying attention to it everytime I do 'that mouth thing', and it's there almost everytime. The tempo falls about 5bpm, and the notes go down about a half or a whole note I think.

WHY??? Do I slow down my perception of time? If so, I WANNA CONTROL IT!
icon10.gif
Imagine how cool that would be! I could think faster (compared to the outside world) and react super fast and stuff
tongue.gif

I see there are some clever people in here. Do you know anything about it? And have anyone else experienced the same thing?

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThokN
All this is quite interesting really. But I wanna throw in another weird experience.

I've noticed for the last couple of years, that when I...uhhh.... (oh no, I don't know the english word for it. It's like when your mouth automatically opens up when you get tired.)... then I can hear the music pitch down!
This is very weird. I've been paying attention to it everytime I do 'that mouth thing', and it's there almost everytime. The tempo falls about 5bpm, and the notes go down about a half or a whole note I think.

WHY??? Do I slow down my perception of time? If so, I WANNA CONTROL IT!
icon10.gif
Imagine how cool that would be! I could think faster (compared to the outside world) and react super fast and stuff
tongue.gif

I see there are some clever people in here. Do you know anything about it? And have anyone else experienced the same thing?

I think you mean "yawning." A "yawn" is what happens when you're pretty tired or you just need to take in a big breath. The reason it seems to lower the pitch may be a result of the compression of your inner ear that happens when you yawn, since your jaw muscles and such sort of press around on it.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThokN
Allright, but thats just the physical effect.
Why would the compression pitch the sound down?

Could be an emphasis on the lower frequencies and a dampening of the higher harmonics giving the perception of the sound being lowered a pitch, since it changes the shape of your ear canal and thus alters the frequency emphasis (your very own acoustic chamber, if you will). I'm not entirely sure, to be honest.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Yeah, that makes sense. To build a certain skill like math or physics you need to isolate yourself from other people and think by yourself, you don't want someone else

<snip>

lead to the same destination and it doesn't matter what choice you make." - One

Oh lord, you're a teenager, right? This is the kind of spew I used to vomit when I was a teenage extropian. LOL You missed the point. You cannot 'master' anything in isolation. You can improve through repetition, and perhaps master closed sets (things that have an endpoint), but never entire fields. SOME things fit together well, most do not. The way your brain works, mastering one 'item' actually reduces the amount of cortex associated with that 'item'. When you move on to incorporate that 'item' into learning a new 'item' it is more likely that you have actually isolated that patch of cortex from adapting quickly. In essence, you have to 'unlearn' first, and then reconsolidate.

The other issue is that evolutionary biologist pretty much agree that the reason for the hyperfrontality of the human brain is due to increased reliance on social interaction. In other words, the reason human brains are so different is that fact that we learn about nearly everything in a social context. One way or another, these networks are fired off, and you exercise them much better through their native mode of operation - getting out. That's why people do act as masses. There is a conduit to other minds in pop culture. You can talk at the water cooler, try to deduce why a particular fashion is 'in' (empathy), etc.

So I suggest you 'increase your leg speed' and plot a course for the house door. I saw nothing of significance in that video. The guy plays billiards and can punch fast too? That's becasue he has trained his fast twitch muscles. Anyone can do that with nearly any regular exercise. It's called movement. people do this at almost every moment they are awake. And again, you brain does not speed up or slow down. Your attention and motivation can increase, lowering your threshold to perform an action, and for physical manipulations you have the phenomenon of 'priming', but your brain relies on precisely timed spikes of activity. Change the spiking rate of any chunk of brain too much (or the brain as a whole), and you're more likely to fall into seizures on the ground.

If your goal is to find 'truth', what do you expect to happen when you operate in opposition to both the sensations of the outside world and your own internal wiring? I admire your flare, but you make far too many assumptions to be this cocky.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Since I'm a billiards player I can already increase arm speed on demand (video) like Bruce Lee...

From the video it seems that guy starts throwing his arm with the wrist completely bent inwards. That's an open call for a wrist fracture if the punch for any reason gets blocked before it lands.

One more thing, from the video, that speed and hook will hardly cause any damage in anyone receiving the punch, honestly. A good punch is a lot more than just throwing an arm in front of you. For one thing, your body weight, even your shoulder, back, and hip, legs/feet positions support a good punch. Besides, the position of the hand is very important for your own safety as already mentioned. That's why practice with a boxing bag is the best way to get an idea of how a punch is punched with real slam, without putting your hands at risk.

Recommendation: take some boxing or martial arts lessons. For sure a fighting skill won't be acquired alone without fighting practice. Practicing for speed alone without guidance might get your joints easily fractured if you eventually have to apply what you practiced unguided.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #53 of 61
There may be some "conditioning" and "association" going on here but there is also the fairly well-studied phenomenon of synesthesia,

"The word synesthesia, meaning "joined sensation", shares a root with anesthesia, meaning "no sensation." It denotes the rare capacity to hear colors, taste shapes, or experience other equally startling sensory blendings whose quality seems difficult for most of us to imagine. A synesthete might describe the color, shape, and flavor of someone's voice, or music whose sound looks like "shards of glass," a scintillation of jagged, colored triangles moving in the visual field. Or, seeing the color red, a synesthete might detect the "scent" of red as well. The experience is frequently projected outside the individual, rather than being an image in the mind's eye. I currently estimate that 1/25,000 individuals is born to a world where one sensation involuntarily conjures up others, sometimes all five clashing together (Cytowic, 1989, 1993). I suspect this figure is far too low."

http://psyche.csse.monash.edu.au/v2/...0-cytowic.html

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
From the video it seems that guy starts throwing his arm with the wrist completely bent inwards. That's an open call for a wrist fracture if the punch for any reason gets blocked before it lands.

One more thing, from the video, that speed and hook will hardly cause any damage in anyone receiving the punch, honestly. A good punch is a lot more than just throwing an arm in front of you. For one thing, your body weight, even your shoulder, back, and hip, legs/feet positions support a good punch. Besides, the position of the hand is very important for your own safety as already mentioned. That's why practice with a boxing bag is the best way to get an idea of how a punch is punched with real slam, without putting your hands at risk.

Recommendation: take some boxing or martial arts lessons. For sure a fighting skill won't be acquired alone without fighting practice. Practicing for speed alone without guidance might get your joints easily fractured if you eventually have to apply what you practiced unguided.

I wasn't going to get into that, but yeah, a very poor punch. The trick he is using is the same thing seem with a bull whip. You start moving the thicker part of the arm, and basically make a wave traveling down the arm, ending with a snapping of the wrist. It's all timing, not speed. The actual impact of such a punch would more likely be as effective as a slap, since there's no mass behind the point of impact. Good ole impulse equation: F x dt = m x dv

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
There may be some "conditioning" and "association" going on here but there is also the fairly well-studied phenomenon of synesthesia,

"The word synesthesia, meaning "joined sensation", shares a root with anesthesia, meaning "no sensation." It denotes the rare capacity to hear colors, taste shapes, or experience other equally startling sensory blendings whose quality seems difficult for most of us to imagine. A synesthete might describe the color, shape, and flavor of someone's voice, or music whose sound looks like "shards of glass," a scintillation of jagged, colored triangles moving in the visual field. Or, seeing the color red, a synesthete might detect the "scent" of red as well. The experience is frequently projected outside the individual, rather than being an image in the mind's eye. I currently estimate that 1/25,000 individuals is born to a world where one sensation involuntarily conjures up others, sometimes all five clashing together (Cytowic, 1989, 1993). I suspect this figure is far too low."

http://psyche.csse.monash.edu.au/v2/...0-cytowic.html

It sounds like this situation is similar, but that's really not the case. I actually just met a guy with synesthesia (interviewing for our neuroscience program). A better analogy is to think of it this way: If I say "fire truck", you might say "red". If I say grape, you say "purple" or "green". If I say "M", you say... ? A synesthete might say "blue", while you and I have no association. Because there is a tighter connection between motor and somatosensory, there are relatively few cases of somatosensory inclusive synesthesia (compared to sight, etc.) And the chance all those people converged to head-fi is pretty damn slim. Still, synesthesia is one wicked cool topic.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

And the chance all those people converged to head-fi is pretty damn slim.

One does not speak of likelihoods on Arrakis...

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #57 of 61
I hate to break into this interesting discussion but I have been testing my Koss Portapro in order to see if I get a similar tactile impression with them, driven by the same setup (an old stationary Denon DCD-2560, amp PA2v2).

This was an extended listening session in order to give myself a chance to adapt to the Portas, then I played that Celtic Circle CD as I suggested earlier as suitable for testing this effect. Results: it was possible to feel a very slight effect corresponding to a narrow resonant frequency band in the lower midbass on some tunes. That was all unfortunately. I guess this tactile response has been too faint and far too infrequent to call for my attention earlier. It is very unfair to compare the SQ more generally between the Portapro and the Beyerdynamics DT250-80 so I pass on that one. I whish I had something more similar to compare with but I don’t.

Going back to the Beyers after the test made me understand more what it is that produces this strong tactile impression over such a large frequency spectrum. It struck me that the sound of the Beyers remind me so very much of the sound from my old fullrange frontloaded horns that are now stashed away in the basement since four years due to “lack of space” (I strongly disagree with my dear wife on that one but it is another story…).

Those precious horns of mine had a way of presenting the sound with a great engaging “attack”, completely effortless deep bass punch, with a silky mid-high smoothness and 3D depth. They made objects and bodies resonate and vibrate throughout our premises in a way that is very rare with more “normal” loudspeakers. They excelled not just in the bass band where horns usually provide a relentless, explosive sense of power, it was just as much midrange power – brass for instance, just like the real thing with the mid-priced Fostex FD600 compression drivers I used. The band 6kHz and upwards was taken care of by Coral H105, quite directional horn tweeters that provided an excellent sense of air, positioning and definition without ever sounding harsh.

The main thing about fullrange horn systems is their enormous dynamic capability and low distortion. Maybe the Beyers share these particular properties, I don’t know. Another feature of horn systems that is more difficult to live with is the fact that they have a tendency to excite standing waves everywhere, pronouncing room resonances. This makes them very awkward to place in a living room if at all possible (which is part of the explanation why they are now history I guess…). Maybe there is some resonant signature in the Beyers that made me associate so vividly with the horn experience? Not that I have noticed anything honky yet but maybe more golden-eared members can chip in with more objective information about that.

To summarize, the explanation of my tactile weirdness must be that I conditioned myself for more than a decade with those horns. Now I happened to choose headphones that sounded “similar” in certain respects, without really recognizing my fuzzy selection criteria at the time of purchase in the store. Listening to them is obviously what it takes for me to activate the memories of what the horns used to do to my body and the immediate physical listening environment.

Last time we cleared up in the basement, wifey said “honey, don’t you think it is time to get rid of those enormous loudspeakers you have here, we are not using them anymore and I need the space…”

Over my dead body, I responded. Now they also will have to pry these Beyers off my dead cold skull
icon10.gif

I guess this is the review of Beyerdynamics DT250-80 that I promised earlier in a weak moment. To each his own.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Oh lord, you're a teenager, right? This is the kind of spew I used to vomit when I was a teenage extropian. LOL You missed the point. You cannot 'master' anything in isolation. You can improve through repetition, and perhaps master closed sets (things that have an endpoint), but never entire fields.

With isolation I meant that you focus on improving 1 thing while being open to the entire field. In that field you search for ways to improve the skill you are focusing on. It's open minded isolation instead of narrow minded isolation.
If I want to improve a certain skill I almost never practice it with repetition because it doesn't really work, how I do it is by thinking about it (and taking ideas from other sports), and I can't do that if I get distracted by something else. You can't be a good audiophile if you need the money for something else instead of your next component upgrade. I did many hours of planning for my future purchases to save as much money as possible, actually yesterday I thought 4 hours straight in bed to plan my video setup.

You are correct that with repetition you learn something and need to unlearn it when doing something else. But improving intelligence is similar, it's a form repetition, why would anyone want to unlearn it and go to the opposite direction?

Quote:

I saw nothing of significance in that video. The guy plays billiards and can punch fast too? That's becasue he has trained his fast twitch muscles. Anyone can do that with nearly any regular exercise. It's called movement. people do this at almost every moment they are awake.

Yes, you can do that either with repetition or by understanding how to relax and get as much speed as possible with the variables (air, gravity etc.) in the environment, it's physics. I've been a bodybuilder for 6 years and repetition never worked for me to improve my strength, perhaps it's all placebo since I overnight improved from 6 chin-ups to 9 after doing visualization techniques!

Quote:

The other issue is that evolutionary biologist pretty much agree that the reason for the hyperfrontality of the human brain is due to increased reliance on social interaction. In other words, the reason human brains are so different is that fact that we learn about nearly everything in a social context. One way or another, these networks are fired off, and you exercise them much better through their native mode of operation - getting out. That's why people do act as masses. There is a conduit to other minds in pop culture. You can talk at the water cooler, try to deduce why a particular fashion is 'in' (empathy), etc.

If you go out and interact with monkeys will it make you more intelligent? With my experiments it was the opposite. If you hang out with more intelligent people than yourself you will become smarter much faster because you are forced to. In the future there will be AI teaching machines that constantly stay a step ahead of your own intelligence level...

Quote:

And again, you brain does not speed up or slow down. Your attention and motivation can increase, lowering your threshold to perform an action, and for physical manipulations you have the phenomenon of 'priming', but your brain relies on precisely timed spikes of activity. Change the spiking rate of any chunk of brain too much (or the brain as a whole), and you're more likely to fall into seizures on the ground.

Yes, the goal is to push your brain to the limit without falling to the ground. This is very exhausting and I only use it when I need to. I'm able to halve my reaction time and boost up my short-term memory amongst other things, because I understand how to focus on it now. With repetition techniques I never improved.

Quote:

Oh lord, you're a teenager, right?

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not since you can see my age from both my name (1982) and profile. I'm a kid in an adult's body because my plans in life are not the same as the rest (job, marriage, house, car, fake happiness etc. don't interest me at all). You know, wife is not good for this hobby...
wink.gif

Quote:

I admire your flare, but you make far too many assumptions to be this cocky.

If you think that sounded cocky you should have seen 5 years ago when I got banned from every forum I entered, but I have improved my writing and understanding (and adding smileys) since then so less people hate me.
tongue.gif

It was not meant to sound cocky. It was meant to help other people realize that we are all the same and everyone can build "godlike" powers if they really want to. After all, it's not the end that matters but the journey...

"Everyone are the same, just in different lengths of their journey." - One

Edit: Oops it may have sounded cocky again. I'm not saying I know it all because I don't; "The more you believe in something, the further you are from the real truth." Because I'm open minded I can accept my flaws, learn from my mistakes and improve; "If you don't contradict yourself you are narrow minded".

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra

That was just an old experiment video where I wanted to make it look as fast as possible. I did the wrist slap and circular arm motion on purpose, this way the arm and wrist were in a different position when coming back. With a straight wrist locked punch it looks slower because of similar frames in the video. Big movement looks faster but is really slower and less efficient...

I can't imagine myself ever hitting a person, it's better to build than destroy.
wink.gif
If I would start obsessing about martial arts I would most likely end up fighting evil people on the streets which ends up with myself in prison.
rolleyes.gif

Being an audiophile is more safe, unless you become too obsessed and start robbing banks. Or you can combine both...

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

If I would start obsessing about martial arts I would most likely end up fighting evil people on the streets which ends up with myself in prison.

I didn't suggest you start obsessing about martial arts, I suggested that you start practicing boxing or martial arts. It is more about discipline than fighting people on the streets or getting obsessed about anything. I've practiced Tae Kwon Do and haven't fought anyone outside competitions, same for many people I've met who practice martial arts.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

I haven't experienced these effects you describe because I never go outside in the real world. This way my brain remains as neutral as possible which also increases intelligence and skill. It also makes me more immune to placebo.
I went outside a few times and when I came back my brain was "colored" and music didn't sound as good as before which made me automatically try to fill in the missing pieces. There was a lack of resolution and my brain was slower.

LOL!:
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back