WEIRD: My Computer Does NOT Want To Shut Down...
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
First and foremost: I am not new to computers at all, but this new "issue" has me baffled. I can shut my computer down completely, but one second later, it fires back up. I had to wait until the the lights went out, and I immediately used the main power switch on the PSU. Even with that done, the primary caps in the PSU had just enough juice to fire the thing up for a split second before finally going black.

Here are my specs, because I KNOW people will ask...

Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Q6600 @ 3GHz (Might be a possible cause)
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR2 (4x2)
GPU: nVidia GTX 280
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2 PCI and ESI Juli@
Wireless: D-Link N Extreme

Worked fine before the OC and maybe the new Videocard. I am not one to shut down unless it goes completely idle at night. Oh, completely fresh install with drivers and software. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Thoughts?

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 12
what happens if you do a Start -> Run -> shutdown -f -s -t 5 ?

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 12
Did you try "to roll your system back to a previous date (just like in XP)" or another thing, log off before you shutdown the system?

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 12
my vista computer will not shut down unless I unplug the ethernet port.

also, go into device manager, and right click on all the devices individualy and check out properties. some will have a "power managerment" tab. if you look at that, there's an option that says "allow this device to wake the computer" uncheck that.

hope that helps.

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Do you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Sometimes the BIOS is to blame for erratic behavior on power-up. I bought an ASUS motherboard which did weird things until I upgraded the BIOS.

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for that rockin, think that may fix my sisters (Vista) Dell Vostro (with standard dell settings, drivers, bloatware, enhancements etc.) laptop which wakes itself up occasionally a few mins after she puts it into sleep mode (shutting the lid is set up to sleep).

My Toshiba (reloaded to remove Tosh crap, just put Tosh drivers back on, might be why.) never ever has done it.

I'm off ill, so I've got the time to fiddle. She'll be happy
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Is the power button stuck? Otherwise I would check the relevant connections on your mobo...

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 12
I had this problem once. It would go through the motions of shutting down but then it would just stay on. I was able to shut it off using the power button though. When I booted back up, I did a virus scan but it turned up nothing and I didn't have the problem anymore. I can only guess that something was still running that prevented the shut down.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 12
I should mention that the PSU is a Corsair HX1000 if that helps.

I updated the BIOS as well as went to the stock clock for the CPU, and so far, nothing is working. It still goes cold, waits a second or two, and fires back up from both the OS shutdown and the button press on the case.

I am baffled...

EDIT: Now it works. Was either a setting in the BIOS, the updating of the BIOS, or the downclocking to stock 2.4GHz from 3GHz. I will probably go back to 3 for encoding and HD playback reasons (DAMN ffdshow and avisynth), so I guess I will find out what it was sooner or later...

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm not sure what you're using as a powerbar/surge protection, but I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out my PSU was particularly sensitive to voltage fluctuations and a quick switch to a regulated power supply at the receptacle fixed the issue.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what you're using as a powerbar/surge protection, but I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out my PSU was particularly sensitive to voltage fluctuations and a quick switch to a regulated power supply at the receptacle fixed the issue.

Your avatar is so weird! Makes me laugh though! Keep up the good work bud!

Anyway, @ OP:
I had this problem while trying to do a software boot through windows and my computer wouldn't shut down. So I have to keep pushing the button on my computer! So annoying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back