Weird ipod problem (with upgraded hard drive)
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

michael viscera

New Head-Fier
Hello. I upgraded my 5.5 gen. Imod with a new 240gb hard drive and it has a weird problem.

[size=11pt]So I bought this new 240gb hdd (the Toshiba[/size][size=11pt]MK2431GAH) along with a new battery and carefully replaced them following the detailed guides at ifixit and proceed to restore it with itunes, and although it takes a bit to restore it, it shows the 223-224gb legend in the screen, so the restore went well. Ok now I proceed to synch my playlist/files/songs and the ipod, or more specifically, the new hard drive hangs at 1.5gb no matter what, sometimes the “error (-69)” appears, but I shuffle the order of the playlist/files and the problem remains. I should point that the drive starts to make the loud clicking, grinding sounds [/size][size=11pt]when reaching the 1.5gb mark.[/size]

[size=11pt]I’ve tried to restore/reset/restart the ipod several times; use a different usb port, different versions of windows (7, vista, xp) on different computers and the problem remains. I also tried to run the windows scandisk for errors (found none) and then use the itunes. At one point I thought the ipod firmware got corrupted so I swapped to the original 80 gb drive and the ipod gets back to normal, even when doing all of the above.[/size]

[size=11pt]So what is your take on this?[/size]

I think that is time for a warranty claim.

Cheers.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Hang on it this thread you quoting the coloured text and responding to it... or what?

Relax!
popcorn.gif
  Dunno. That's the way it showed when i posted it.  It must be the Noscript plug in i got with firefox. It acts crazy sometimes despite the configurations.

Quote:
check HDD with free version of HD Tune or Victoria.

Thanks, will do. But i agree, I'll do the warranty claim.

Quote:
PS: R.I.P. Peter Steele (January 4, 1962 – April 14, 2010)

frown.gif
Indeed man.

It's been such a tragic year for rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back