Weird interferences from Windows - xonar essence stx
Apr 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #16 of 19
So I could use a DI box (active or passive?) And take XLR-RCA cables to feed my headphone amp?

Typically overkill, but yes.  How you would wire the XLR>RCA differs depending on the specific DI box.  

Why would you even consider an active DI?  The key here is something called "common-mode rejection ratio".  A transformer has that, even the cheap ones, and to a fairly high degree.  An active box has to fight some pretty tight component tolerances and selection to achieve CMRR even close to a transformer, so the good ones are expensive.  Then you have to be concerned with the cable wiring. Some boxes require cutting the wire to XLR pin 3, others don't. 

Here: this is what I use, I thought it was discontinued, but it's still available.  I've tested it, its frequency response is flat down to 20Hz.  Used them for years, and keep several handy. 

May 7, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 19
The support guy at Thomann recommended to buy an ART DTI http://artproaudio.com/isolators/product/dti/

It's a transformer/isolator box that takes all sorts of connectors and kills the ground loop.

And it works!
Even at maximum possible gain, there's not a single blip to be heard, even with my ear directly at the tweeter.
Also, with te tube amp and the headphones, there is absolutely no noise audible.

I'm amazed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back