Weird IEM problem...
Sep 26, 2005 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LBC

Head-Fier
I just received my UE-10's on Friday. Besides being overjoyed with the sound, I had this weird problem: after listening for not too long a time, I got a dull headache and mild stomach discomfort. This is the identical problem I get when flying - due to the pressure changes onboard. I tend to be very sensitve to pressure changes - I can always tell when the plane starts it's descent - before the pilot gets on to announce that fact.

Now, I'm not new to IEMs - I have E3s and ER-4Ps. In fact flying with the etys (foam tips) has really helped the aforementioned headache problem by modulating the pressure change (my hypothesis).

I'm wondering if a slight imbalance in the left to right-hand side fits, leading to a pressure imbalance is causing the problem. Or a snugger fit than with the foamies and the extra bass of the UEs is the source.

Weird, eh? Anyone ever had this same problem - or even heard of this before?

Thanks all...

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC
I just received my UE-10's on Friday. Besides being overjoyed with the sound, I had this weird problem: after listening for not too long a time, I got a dull headache and mild stomach discomfort. This is the identical problem I get when flying - due to the pressure changes onboard. I tend to be very sensitve to pressure changes - I can always tell when the plane starts it's descent - before the pilot gets on to announce that fact.

Now, I'm not new to IEMs - I have E3s and ER-4Ps. In fact flying with the etys (foam tips) has really helped the aforementioned headache problem by modulating the pressure change (my hypothesis).

I'm wondering if a slight imbalance in the left to right-hand side fits, leading to a pressure imbalance is causing the problem. Or a snugger fit than with the foamies and the extra bass of the UEs is the source.

Weird, eh? Anyone ever had this same problem - or even heard of this before?

Thanks all...

I have senitive inner ear when it comes to amuzement rides or anything that spins, on ships, and/or in planes. I know the feeling. And I can't say I get headaches with my UE-10s.

But I wont wear them if I do have a headarche. If you didn't have a good seal I would think that you would know it. From the outside sound getting into one side or bass not being as heavy in other side.

How long have you had them?

Maybe you can put them in for a shorter period of time and let you body get use to them before extended period of use. Almost like when you get contacts for the first time. Just an idea.

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Chris,

I know what you mean about the sensitive inner-ear thing. It gets worse as I get older. No way would I get on an amusement ride anymore - just thinking about it makes my stomach quesy!

I just got the UEs on Friday, and I never used them for an extended period over the weekend - just a number of short periods (30-60 min). I think the seals are pretty good - I can almost feel a vacuum. I wonder if just putting them in and out is part of the problem. Hopefully this won't be a chronic problem - that would be a major bummer - they sound soooo good!

Sep 26, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC
Chris,

I know what you mean about the sensitive inner-ear thing. It gets worse as I get older. No way would I get on an amusement ride anymore - just thinking about it makes my stomach quesy!

I just got the UEs on Friday, and I never used them for an extended period over the weekend - just a number of short periods (30-60 min). I think the seals are pretty good - I can almost feel a vacuum. I wonder if just putting them in and out is part of the problem. Hopefully this won't be a chronic problem - that would be a major bummer - they sound soooo good!

Well I hope that things improve for you. I can't live with mine now. In the morning it is like.. My wallet, My cell, My ipod, My UE-10s..

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC
I just received my UE-10's on Friday. Besides being overjoyed with the sound, I had this weird problem: after listening for not too long a time, I got a dull headache and mild stomach discomfort.

When I first got my UE10's I also felt a bit seasick from them. It turns out that loud sounds can make be nauseous. Try turning the volume down a bit.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Nope. That's not the problem - I always keep the volume at comfortable listening levels. Maybe it's the amount of bass. Definitely a step up from the etys in that department!
icon10.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm experiencing the same thing too. I just got my IM716's and I start to feel a bit like I'm in a plane. Its not even after extended use but even just one minute of having these things in makes me feal a bit "off." I get a little lightheaded with a slight headache and my stomache gets a tad uneasy. I'm hoping this passes, has anyone overcome this in time?

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 11
dunno if this will help, but worth a shot:

after you get a seal, try yawning and make sure you feel equal outward pressure on both ears as you yawn. it should also help to even things out...i do this with my ety's occasionally.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 11
Since I started this thread, I thought I'd give an update. I had two re-fits done on the UE-10s. I don't think the seal is perfect, but I do know that the original fit was way too tight on one side. It went in fine, but was fairly painful to remove. But, I'm glad to say that the headache problem is a thing of the past - and I'm assuming it was due to the too-tight original fit. I still love these things!

Sep 5, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 11
It seems my body is getting used to this somehow. The effects seem to be diminishing the more I wear them.

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 11
i have always been an overear headphones person but wanted to use iems for commuting and noise isolation, up until recently, i had been using the humble shure 215 with olive tips with no problems, but ever since i upgraded to iems like the westone w20s, jvc fx850 and now campfire orion, i have been feeling kind of woozy as soon as i get a proper seal :frowning2:

are there any workarounds? i have tried stock tips, spiral dots, comply and spin fits in several sizes, in fact, i could possibly repurchase the se215 with the money i spent so far on ear tips lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back