weird E4 "crackling"
May 14, 2006 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

feddup

New Head-Fier
I purchased my E4s about a month ago and overall couldn't be more pleased. I've picked up some strange "crackling" noise on the left channel that occurs when extreme treble is being played. Throughout the day (worn at work for eight hours) the problem seems to deminish. I've removed the nozzles and they're perfectly clean. I've tried different music and the distortion is definitely tied to treble on the left channel. I've learned over the years that even the best equipment fails sometimes and I may have to RMA. Shure's RMA policy was part of the reason I chose them. If anyone has any easy answers or factors that I may have missed their help would be appreciatted.

May 14, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 11
What source/amp are you using? Have you tried more than one set-up?

May 14, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 11
sometimes my triflanges make crackling/creaking noises in my left ear when i walk or eat. i thought it was the driver untill it happened with the music off.
it might be that.

May 14, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
sometimes my triflanges make crackling/creaking noises in my left ear when i walk or eat. i thought it was the driver untill it happened with the music off.
it might be that.

Yeah my biflanges do the same. I guess it's due to the flanges moving in your ear while your jaw is moving.

May 14, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 11
I occasionally get a similar sound with my Ety ER4p due to the triflange not being seated properly sometimes. If I re-insert it usually takes care of it, and it only seems to happen if it's inserted badly AND i'm moving around a lot. So, it's probably not something to worry about. Experiment with insertion the next time it happens and see if you can make it do the crackle while disconnected from your source.

May 15, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 11
How stupid of me! I hadn't even considered trying another source. I'm using Shure foamies so I doubt the problem is the tips. Thanks for the ideas. I just checked some things and I'm suspecting the connection between the headphones and the player seems to be the issue. I'll test it some more before I'm sure. It's an Iriver H10 with a remote. the headphone connection is on the remote which I thought was a good thing since wear on the headphone jack is often an issue with players that experience lots of use. I'm not thrilled with the H10s overall perfection but the sound quality seems stellar for a $175 player. I'll have to observe what makes this problem come and go. I'll not tolerate having to fiddle with the jack constantly. Thanks for the input!

May 15, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 11
strange, i have the exact same problem. when i move my ear gently it crackles slight only on the left channel. At first i thought it might be a bit of ear wax or sumthin but this thread has made me change my mind. Maybe i should experiment with the source also. Let me know if you sort anything out.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 11
I wore the E4s for eight hours today without the strange crackling. I'm not sure what made the difference. I'm paying more attension to the connections. I'm also using a new set of Foamies. Hopefullt the problem stays away.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Did u send your e4s back to shure mixmasterbert? did they replace them with no problems. I have also noticed the grey rubber plastic where the wire goes into the earphone is splitting on both left and right whihc is dissapointing. Im not sure whether to send them back?? Has anyone else had this problem? I wish shure would say to me how would you like to pay the difference and upgrade to some e500. Then id be a happy guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back