Weird Buzzing noise from USB!
Jan 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

spidert622

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I made a thread not too long ago about a terrible background noise that my headphones made.  At the end of that thread I decided that my issue was completely resolved.  I came to this conclusion after using my laptop to listen to music on an outlet that had a GFCI.  During this test I heard absolutely no background noise.  Because of this I thought my only problem was that I needed a GFCI installed in my room.  So I did this and it actually changed absolutely nothing.

I was messing around with the USB connector into my glow audio DAC thinking maybe it was something to do with that and BINGO I found the issue.  As soon as I touched the metal USB connector to ANY metal part of my case I hear the same noise.

I am going to be getting a new DAC because the glow audio 1.3 cannot take optical input.  Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

[size=x-small]In the mean time do you think that I built my computer incorrectly or something?  I am pretty sure that the motherboard should be grounded via the 24 pin power connector.  However I was stumbling through the comments of a Linus Tech tips video, and I noticed that someone else had the same motherboard as me and also heard a strange buzzing noise in their headphones.  Perhaps the motherboard has an actual [/size]malfunction[size=x-small] where it is incorrectly grounded causing background noise.[/size]

[size=x-small]Optical connection to the DAC in all likelihood will fix this problem because optical being light waves should not have this issue.[/size]

[size=small]Here are my PC specs in case anybody wants to know.[/size]
Asus Rampage IV formula
I7 3820
gtx 670 4gb 3 way sli
16gb 4x 4gb 16--mhz vengeance ram
NZXtswitch 810 case
Silverstone 1200w PSU

Audio setup
computer -USB- Glow audio dac -RCA- schiit Mjolnir -4pinXLRbalanced- audeze lcd-2 rosewood

The DAC I am looking into buying is the schiit gungir as I have heard that it is an excellent DAC that compliments the Mjolnir very well.

Thanks all

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 9
Is everything properly grounded? (the DAC included)

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 9
I am not sure.  I believe the DAC would be grounded via the USB.  The motherboard should be grounded by the powersupply which is grounded by the 3 pin power plug.  

Not really sure on this one.  Any ideas on manually grounding the motherboard or DAC safely?

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 9
The things is if it buzzes while touching the pc case that suggests some kind of ground issue. I'd advice you to get an USB hub

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't think this is the case because a laptop while connected with the power cable has none of these issues.  I will, however, try taking my desktop downstairs and see if it makes a difference.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Laptops are usually 2 prong and isolated by their power supplies from ground completely since these cables are usually two wire non-polarized. A desktop will not be isolated, as the third wire ground WILL be ground. So I still think it's a bad ground on the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back