Weigh-in: Most durable audiophile-quality IEMs?
Jul 19, 2008 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for the most indestructible (relatively speaking) audiophile quality universal fit (not custom), unamped IEMs or earbuds I can find. They are going to be subjected to rough physical activity/use and I don't want fragile phones. Which have you guys heard are the most rugged, have the least repair return anecdotes,etc. Money isn't really a concern (not UE-10 or 11s...). I'm considering the following, but am open to suggestions:

Yuin OK2
Shure SE310
UE Triple.Fi 5 Pro
Sleek SA6
Etymotic ER-4P
Westone UM1/UM2
Denon 751s
Atrio M5s
Jays Q-jays

Thanks.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's that demanding activity you are going to do with them??

A variety of things from hiking/camping/backpacking to the gym. Activities that snap, catch, pull, press, etc. I just wanted some IEMs that are known to be rugged as hell.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 19
The problem of some of those IEM's listed is that sweat from the ear could damage the armatures inside; and the thumping of the cable while doing cardio or jogging would drive you crazy; such is the case of the SFi's (and the bore is pretty fragile) and the Ety's, but I don't know about the others. Is isolation a must?

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 19
I agree, I worry about the sweat issue as well. As far as microphonics, I could deal with one of the over-ear versions. I don't really need isolation, but it would be nice. Perhaps the Yuin OK2 earbuds would survive sweat better. I don't know.

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, I think some earbuds would do better, but even then, they are susceptible to sweat... but people say the yuin's are good (maybe the foam can help). I have my iem's for bus trips, but at the gym I use either the iGrados or Senn PX100, the sound is not that good, but you aren't at a critical listening!!

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 19
well the shure SE530s are up to audiophile standard and you're bound to find a fit with its extended "fit-kit" but durability.. not sure, the plastic feels a little cheap. sound quality good, maybe not durable but definitely worth a mention

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 19
There are a lot of unhappy people with shure IEMs that have broken cables.

The Etymotic ER4P has detachable braided cables and well-sealed armature housing to keep sweat from hurting them. A lot of people have had ER 4 phones for several years and at most may have replaced the cables. My experience with their customer support is excellent as well.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 19
Well...the 751s are metal, so I'm sure that helps. Certainly my 551s get a lot of abuse, and they're fine so far. Haven't had them long though.

Also, the Westones are often hailed as being very well-built.

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by midget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it sounds like the possibility of you destroying the cables is actually far more likely than destroying the IEMs themselves. perhaps detachable cables would do you good.

Exactly, x2. The units themselves are hard to break short of completely crushing them, which is rare, or soaking them, which is equally rare. The only way armatures generally die is sweat from cables. Most IEMs with detachable cables wont let sweat in through the cables.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 19
im a shure fan but they are very durable. only downside is you cant change cables but the housing is very well put together,(se530) its tight with no glue markes like what you may find on ety products, the newer models have a stronger cable which does not stiffen like earlier models, the cable joints are strong and heavy duty.

UE phones again are great but lower models such as the super fi 5 pro and lower do suffer from crap thin cable syndrome. but this is changeable which is a big plus. the housings again in lower end models is very big and tend to feel hollow, almost like they have wasted the space they have used. but the housings are strong, yet have been known to crack.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. The only way armatures generally die is sweat from cables. Most IEMs with detachable cables wont let sweat in through the cables.

i think you will find that is the other way around, by being detatchable that is just another joint for sweat to creep into

Users who are viewing this thread

Back