Weezer Calls it Quits.
Jul 15, 2006 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

will75

1000+ Head-Fier
Sad day for me. This is by far my favorite band. I hope they eventually come back but it's pretty unlikely this time around. Rivers is the one in control and he seems done.

River has about 450 songs out there (about 60 on their 5 albums). Many great ones ost have never heard.

Sorry if you are a fan and just hearing about it.

=W=

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 25
Man that really sucks
frown.gif

I am listening to them as we speak, wondering if they were working on a new album!

Very sad

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 25
They seem like the kinda popish band that will reunite when the money runs dry (although with their smarts, it may not).

Hopefully they'll get together every 5 years or so for a reunion tour.

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 25
A part of me is glad that Weezer broke up, because everything they have produced since Pinkerton has been on a serious decline. Hopefully members of the group can now go off and do their own projects and bring something new to the fans.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 25
That sucks
frown.gif
. They are one of the bands I really wanted to see live, but now will not unless they reunite. Their Blue Album was the first CD I ever bought (in 5th grade).

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 25
too bad i guess but I've got most of their stuff and that's enough for me. I'd prefer a good, clean break-up over a lingering decline into dissolution and mediocrity.
btw, isn't it nice how well Ween and Weezer can segue with each other on iTunes/Pod listening...

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75
Sad day for me. This is by far my favorite band. I hope they eventually come back but it's pretty unlikely this time around. Rivers is the one in control and he seems done.

River has about 450 songs out there (about 60 on their 5 albums). Many great ones ost have never heard.

Sorry if you are a fan and just hearing about it.

=W=

Huge bummer, thanks had not seen this officially..what a drag.
Have been expecting it somewhat but stil stinks.

Big Weezer fan...saw them the last time they came to Phx, a few months back, and am glad I did now

--------------------------------------- =W=

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Huge bummer, thanks had not seen this officially..what a drag.
Have been expecting it somewhat but stil stinks.

Big Weezer fan...saw them the last time they came to Phx, a few months back, and am glad I did now

--------------------------------------- =W=

Damn, I almost went to the show in Phoenix too. I never got to see them in concert and they were one of my favorite bands when I was in highschool.

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 25
you know, i'm ok with them going out when they have. quick rise, solid follow up, good last gasp, end before it gets uncomfortable. now that's a nice little band history. and i'd take tracks from any of those albums and have a nice little BBQ.

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 25
Too bad they didn't break up after Pinkerton.

That they reached a point where they were recording songs like "Beverly Hills" should have been, and I suppose was, the writing on the wall.

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 25
Isn't this way over-due? Where does a band like this go now? Can you be singing Buddy Holly or the Sweater song, or any of their songs, really, at the age of 50? Kinda absurd. This band lasted way longer than it reasonably could have. Their my age for crying out loud!
600smile.gif
They're frozen boy-men, singing about adolescent stuff, at some point it becomes a little ridiculous, yes?

I mean, I liked the band well enough, I have all of their CDs (EDIT: not the last one), so I'm not dissing them. But really, how does a band like this grow up and act it's age, when it was very adolescent/immature to begin with?

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Isn't this way over-due? Where does a band like this go now? Can you be singing Buddy Holly or the Sweater song, or any of their songs, really, at the age of 50? Kinda absurd. This band lasted way longer than it reasonably could have. Their my age for crying out loud!
600smile.gif
They're frozen boy-men, singing about adolescent stuff, at some point it becomes a little ridiculous, yes?

Nonsense.
Weezer music is timeless, and I would love to see them perform their music regardless of their age.

Considering the fact that the Rolling Stones were like what? 109 years old and still touring, I would say the idea isn't too far fetched.

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 25
But the themes of the Rolling Stones (lust and greed, and self-gratification, based on the blues) are a bit more timeless than "she won't go out with me because I wear geeky glasses and like Dungeons and Dragons". Also, the Stones were a *bit* more "adult" from the off than Weezer, don't you think?

I'm not saying there's something "wrong" with Weezer, just that there's no real way for them to grow up and mature, and IMO, they've already milked their man-boy-ish-ness a bit too much at an unseemly age (YMMV).

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 25
If you build your music on a shaky foundation, it won't last. Take Madonna, for example. Isn't it kind of *gross* at some point to see a nearly 50-year-old woman, strutting, pouting, dancing suggestively, shaking what's left of her "thang", and trying to arouse you with her "sexy" come-hither music of yester-year? What else did Madonna ever have besides sex appeal? And now that that's 10 years gone and counting, to see her trying to flog that long-dead horse, it just kinda creeps you out, doesn't it?

To me, Weezer are in a similar dilemma. It's cute to be that way at 14, 18, or even 24. But at 44? 59? Don't think so...

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 25
It sucks that they split...then again, they did before. I'm sure they'll be back again. Until then...I got my hash-pipe!
very_evil_smiley.gif
HEEEEEEE-HEEEEEE!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back