Weekend projects...
Aug 7, 2006 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I just threw together some old pieces of hardwood and a piece of granite I had laying around from some other projects and built a funky headphone stand. I also built a new record cleaner with a thriftstore $3 turntable, a old vacuume and a VPI arm. They're no big deal, but here are a couple pics anyway...

The record cleaner is manual - no motor - but it actually works better than an old nitty grtitty I have been borrowing for the last while - total about $50.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Wow, Im very impressed with the DIY record cleaner. Id really like to make an all wood turntable much like your cleaner (I can't stand plastic or MDF plinth's I need the real wood) and I just discovered a lumber yard near me with plenty of really nice exotic stuff. Id like to make a 100% cocobolo TT, but it probably won't happen anytime soon and from the few times Ive worked with most rosewoods, I may as well be using metal as they are insanely difficult to cut, sand, glue...
Also one other question, did you cut the granite or is it just a random broken piece? Ive got lots of marble around that Ive wanted to use for audio stands, etc, but Im not so great at cutting it yet.

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 7
I bought the VPI arm on ebay for $35 shipped - retail I think they are about $50. I borrowed the idea from here and used a thrift store $3 spindle and platter from an old broken sony turntable. Also the vacuume is the parts from a $10 wet dry mini shop vac. I also bought a cheap trigger sprayer, a brush and the ingredients for a gallon of homemade solution which all came to about $50.

It works really well, the only disadvantage of this style is placing a dirty record on a platter adds dust to it, so you have to do a batch on one side then clean the mat and do the other sides - although it's really no big deal and the rigidty of the platter creates an excellent contact to the vinyl when the vacuume is turned on and pulls the arm down.

Also as far as the granite goes, it is just a random broken piece that had, so no I didn't have to cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back