Weee
May 3, 2006 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Filburt

Headphoneus Supremus
So I decided to take the XP-6 and mod the heck out of it. If I understand the datasheet correctly, and I think I did, I've managed to change the oversampling down to 4x. I also managed to change the overall voicing. It's now more neutral, and highly detailed. Both an improvement, IMHO, over it before. It now outperforms the XP-7 in overall detail by a fairly noticeable margin, but more importantly in instrument separation and articulation. Pretty cool! Took forever to do, though. I had to solder a wire that was maybe half a millimetre wide to one pin on the analog filter/clock generator, which was also a fraction of a millimetre. That was...brutal. Also had to jumper some capacitors across some pins, and do some other stuff. Woohoo!

I did it basically in preparation for the dual dac mod I'm going to do on the Panasonic that I posted in the portable rig thread. I think I will be able to handle the dual dac mod, as it's simpler to do. The XP-6 mod was tremendously difficult. I had to use just the right amount of solder as, apparently, using too much was increasing the capacitance too much and I ended up with clipping...fun fun. So, anyhow, I guess we'll eventually find out how the mod on the Panasonic goes :p. While I was at it, I decided to do some repair on the transport and bring it up to more newish operating performance. That worked out well, too.

Heh, maybe I should offer PCDP repair services. Just kidding :p

May 3, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Heh, maybe I should offer PCDP repair services. Just kidding :p

You could make a lot of money doing just that...
Sounds (pardon the pun) an interesting mod, keep us updated on the developments.

May 4, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 4
In other news, I completed my dual dac mod on my SL-NP11. I can't seem to find my camera, at the moment, so I wasn't able to take pictures of the modification procedure as I had hoped. However, I may take it apart some time soon to at least show what the mod looks like. Heh, I had to take so much of the thing apart to finish the mod...had to remove the controls, some shielding, the power supply, etc, then reattach all of it. Went and made some other mods while I was at it. The thing sounds superb, even better than before, which is really saying something for this thing. It's now smoother with wider soundstage, more detail, more delicacy/nuance, and fantastic instrument separation. I'll definitely have to bring this thing to the next head-fi meet I go to.

The XP-6 is doing well, too. I'm probably going to perform further mods on it next week.

May 11, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Update:

SL-NP11 is still going strong. I never bothered to check the headphone out after the mods. It's definitely rather good now. My PINTs ran out of batteries, so I've been using the HP out, and it has provided a rather satisfying output.

I also got off my butt and fixed my JVC XL-P70 (the strange JVC with dual LCDs and a Graphic EQ). It's definitely an interesing player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back