weed whacker
Nov 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #16 of 22
Here in NY I opted for a Poulan Pro.......and also added the edger attachment.
As stated above - I shopped for a Stihl and found it to be price protected. The one place around here that was a Stihl dealer, did not even stock the weed wacker.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #18 of 22
Another vote for Stihl. That's what I have it and it has worked extremely well for the past 3 years that I've owned it.

I had originally purchased a Troybuilt but then discovered that it had a direct drive setup which really wobbled a lot. The Stihl doesn't wobble hardly at all.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 22
one more thing on the subject. No matter what brand you get, get a straight shaft design. Curved shaft might be appealling because they're smaller and lighter, but there is a reason no commercial models use such a design. They wear out quick, and will soon start melting the string head

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 22
For the environmentally conscious consumer the 4-stroke engines are better for the environment than 2-stroke engines with carburetors.

For any other potential buyers, look for a fuel-injected 2-stroke or any 4-stroke. This goes for lawn-mowers and other engines too.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #21 of 22
I Started out with a Ryobi Trimmer Plus. Then I started buying all the attachements. Roto-tiller,HedgeTrimmer,Pole Saw,blower,edger, and then the power head(Motor end) died. I found out that the Poulin and one of the Husqvarna power heads would snuggle up to all the attachments I had so I got The Husqvarna. After all. I've been happy with thier chain saws for years. Thank goodness I didn't have to buy all new attachments

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #22 of 22
Stihl makes great equipment. For a string trimmer, I use the Stihl FS 46C (around $170). I also have a Black & Decker GH1000 which is a light weight corded model (about 70 bucks). I like both trimmers immensely. If I want to do a big trimming job, I use the Stihl. If I'm just doing the backyard, the Black & Decker is just fine. I have not cut thorugh the cord, but as I'm a klutz, I've tried (and not succeeded...yet). If you have a big yard, go Stihl.

The Stihl FS C45 (around $140) is also a fine pick (I think I got the 46 because it is longer--I'm a short 6'2" little guy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back