Wedding Gifts?!
May 2, 2016 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Law87

Headphoneus Supremus
Hmmm...whats a good wedding gift? since Google has such crappy searches for this topic, I thought I ask you guys....

both naughty and nice gift are welcome.

May 2, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 6
I usually give nice linen or cookware. When it's the latter I get stainless or aluminum, not crap teflon or cast iron/carbon steel that other people might have the jones to maintain properly. That said, one friend I gave a stainless pan was at a party with me sometime after and couldn't believe the sear I was doing with the cast iron, and how I cleaned it with just a kitchen towel and salt (I had to explain to him how the bacon seasoning has to go on it first), and he went off and picked up Lodge skillets plus a grill pan.

May 2, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 6
  I usually give nice linen or cookware. When it's the latter I get stainless or aluminum, not crap teflon or cast iron/carbon steel that other people might have the jones to maintain properly. That said, one friend I gave a stainless pan was at a party with me sometime after and couldn't believe the sear I was doing with the cast iron, and how I cleaned it with just a kitchen towel and salt (I had to explain to him how the bacon seasoning has to go on it first), and he went off and picked up Lodge skillets plus a grill pan.

man I thought everyone would go that route, so I dont want to buy them kitchen ware. I was going to get them an adameve.com gift card, but they are very catholic, not sure what they gonna say.

May 2, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 6
I always try to buy something really out there in the hope that I get a reputation for giving strange gifts and don't get invited to any more weddings. A life-size Alien statue maybe, or a chainsaw.

May 2, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man I thought everyone would go that route, so I dont want to buy them kitchen ware. I was going to get them an adameve.com gift card, but they are very catholic, not sure what they gonna say.

I always go for something practical, something they can use, unless you know the couple very, very, very well (ie not just one of them) to know what they'd both be into as a couple. The one time I didn't give something practical, a friend and I chipped in for an XBox 360 and about a dozen games.

The thing with cookware though is that so far I havent even had someone give the same kind of thing. The most usual are crockpots (ie  the "let's leave this thing on after breakfast and find dinner waiting" gadget), pressure cookers, microwaves, etc. As long as they don't drop it or leave something burning in it, the aluminum skillets will outlast most of those. One time I shopped for a friend who was flying in a day before we drive out of town to the wedding, so I got a "wok" (more like a saute pan, although that's what it says on the cover) to go with my skillet. They've been using both nearly everyday.

Another time when it was an even closer friend (ie we hung out with the guy and the girl everyday of college), we bought an expensive set of beddings (color matched to my preferences though), but snuck in a note that basically said, "may you remember us every time both of you are in bed, as if we were present when our godchildren were made." 
tongue.gif
 Both of them sent us jokingly vexing messages about how we just ruined their sex life.

May 4, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 6
I usually check out the registry. I was just married and my favorite gifts were:  Le Creuset dutch oven, Dreamlines sketch of my wedding dress and his suit and a cutting board that was engraved with our names and wedding date. We received lots of things we really had to have. All the gifts were good and not all were on the registry so that was really fun. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back