Websurfing at Work
Jul 27, 2006 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CMacDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
I've put my feet into the corporate world this summer and find that I spend a decent amount of time (whether it be lunch hour or quickie breaks) checking out non-work related websites. Its mainly sports websites/news and occasionally a forum, nothing vulgar or naughty. I know some people around here post while at work, but I avoid that (not that I post much here anyway)
tongue.gif

Is this frowned upon in the corporate world? No one has said anything to me, and I hear others talking about the golf scores, stock prices, and other daily news events, so I think I'm in the clear, but I was wondering if this is not acceptable in the corporate world.

Also, sometimes a website will take me to a splash page that says "scaning for security purposes" and will take me to the requested page in about 3 seconds. Is this someone monitoring my web use, or is it just an automated program?

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Does your company monitor employee usage? If so, I'd keep your browsing limited to around the lunch hours
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Does your company monitor employee usage? If so, I'd keep your browsing limited to around the lunch hours
wink.gif

Sensible advise, wonder how many could abide by it.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
wink.gif

Mine does, and I've been called out on it twice. And rather than just block some sites they just send out emails whenever you have too much useage. Kinda seems pointless to me. I mean if you don't want people reading news or surfing Ebay, just block it so people can't get to it? Eh, it hasn't phased me that much. I cut back a little and don't visit head-fi at work until an hour or so before I go home.
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
Mine does, and I've been called out on it twice. And rather than just block some sites they just send out emails whenever you have too much useage. Kinda seems pointless to me. I mean if you don't want people reading news or surfing Ebay, just block it so people can't get to it? Eh, it hasn't phased me that much. I cut back a little and don't visit head-fi at work until an hour or so before I go home.
biggrin.gif

Well since you've been cutting back, seems like their method works. Certainly is a lot better then what Jahn went through before the IP change here (then again I'm not sure whether is a good or bad thing for Head-Fi when Jahn can access during all hours of the day...)
lambda.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
Well since you've been cutting back, seems like their method works. Certainly is a lot better then what Jahn went through before the IP change here (then again I'm not sure whether is a good or bad thing for Head-Fi when Jahn can access during all hours of the day...)
lambda.gif

Well, it was one of those warnings like, don't surf during regular business hours or we'll completely revoke your internet privileges. (I like how the corporate world loves to refer to it as a "privilege" opposed to a "necessity" for business.. especially this day in time..
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
) But I still do a tiny bit of surfing while I'm there. Just enough to stay under the radar.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 8
My company does block certain sites that they supposedly deem not appropriate for the workplace. In addition to the usual stuff with adult content, they also block sites like MySpace and Image Shack. However I have no problem connecting to sites like Ebay or Amazon. I'm guessing they're allowed because technically it's okay for us to use the web on our lunch hour and free time for things like shopping.

For some reason I always get a network error if I try to connect to msn.com but none of my co-workers do. If a site is blocked, we get a message stating so. We were told they do monitor internet activity and I can't help but wonder if they evaluate sites that get a lot of activity to see if they are appropriate for the work environment. If so, I imagine they'll be checking Head-Fi at some point given how much time I spend on it at work.

FWIW, I have yet to hear of anyone being reprimanded for spending too much time online although I'm sure there are plenty of people who do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back