Websites with Zen Micro altoids case instructions?
Feb 5, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #31 of 255
my micro fits PERFECTLY. im able to use a padded piece for the top to protect the screen too. nothing to protect the bottem except a transparency... i also used a different material! A MOUSE PAD!
lambda.gif
it keeps my micro from sliding around and keeps it in one place so its feels extremely secure. i had to make the hole a bit taller so i can pop the micro out due to the friction though...

!!copy and paste cuz i can't do offsite linking!!
Code:

Code:
[left]http://dragongc.atspace.com/view1.jpg http://dragongc.atspace.com/view21.jpg[/left]

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #32 of 255
Well when i go get a new case, this is what I am going to have in it, I found some tape that is doubled with foam so its extra padding and its really easy to put on the sides, and it stays great. Then i have some "camo" felt that will be on the inside top and bottom.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #34 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by failurebydesign
I have a Rio Carbon, and it's about a quarter of an inch too wide for an altoids box. Does anyone have any suggestions for other mint tin boxes? Are the Myntz ones the same size?

yes. and to dragonDC that is freaking awsome i love that idea i might just steal it if i have an extra pad hangin around somewheres.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonGC
my micro fits PERFECTLY. im able to use a padded piece for the top to protect the screen too. nothing to protect the bottem except a transparency... i also used a different material! A MOUSE PAD!
lambda.gif
it keeps my micro from sliding around and keeps it in one place so its feels extremely secure. i had to make the hole a bit taller so i can pop the micro out due to the friction though...

Code:

Code:
[left]http://dragongc.atspace.com/view1.jpg http://dragongc.atspace.com/view21.jpg[/left]

Do you ever have problems closing the lid all the way?

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #36 of 255
Strange, my Myntz case closes but my Altoids one doesn't. I lined both the top of the Myntz case and the bottom. Did you try lining the top's sides also instead of justing lining the face of the lid? That could be why...but otherwise mine is lined with a single layer of felt on both.

confused.gif

P.S. Maybe your headphone jack is bigger than mine. Stock phones closed fine in the Altoids case, it was the Shure L shaped jack that gave me troubles.

Feb 6, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #37 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by anty
Strange, my Myntz case closes but my Altoids one doesn't.
confused.gif

Did you try stamping it with your foot real hard?
icon10.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #38 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guust-Fi
Did you try stamping it with your foot real hard?
icon10.gif

Crap I meant to say that it does close as opposed to the one that didn't. Sorry it's 5 AM for me. Oy!

Feb 6, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #39 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioMagnet
Do you ever have problems closing the lid all the way?

nope, no problem closing the lid at all. but when i was building this, i found at that different flavored altoids tins may be larger than others...
rolleyes.gif
like my wintergreen one was a tad bit lower... so heres some more pix for ur liking.

http://dragongc.atspace.com/pix.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
yes. and to dragonDC that is freaking awsome i love that idea i might just steal it if i have an extra pad hangin around somewheres.

i don't mind
lambda.gif
. also, the mouse pad i used was the bottom rubbery piece of a DELL mousepad that i found at school. just ripped it off at cut it!
lambda.gif

i also have a word of advice to future altoids tin builders: don't cut it all the way to the top as i did in the wintergreen altoids tin (u can see in the link i posted). the tin becomes very weak and falls apart after a while.

Feb 6, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #40 of 255
awesome, i just took off the rubbery part of my old dell mouse pad. now i just need a Zen Micro and an Altoids case
biggrin.gif

EDIT- how do you not cut the whole side off? cuz i dont have access to a dremel or anything like that...

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #44 of 255
Just another version of the practical mint tin case for the Zen Micro. If you want to finish this project quickly, it is recommended that you consume many of the caffeinated mints before starting.
blink.gif

zm-penguin1.jpg

And some other images if you are interested:
Penguin2
Penguin3
Penguin4
Penguin5
Penguin6
Penguin7
Penguin8
Penguin9

I used some thin self-stick hobby felt for padding on the bottom of the case and around the sides. The slick paper wrapper for the mints was placed on the inside top case as protection against scratches for the ZM. The lid closes nicely and the Zen does not move about in the tin. Putting it together was a nice way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back