Websites with Zen Micro altoids case instructions?
Jan 30, 2005 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 255

Ender Wiggin

Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying one soon, but don't have it yet for the specifications on where to cut and everything, so I was wondering if there's a website with a tutorial for it, or something similar.

Thanks

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 255
I don't believe there are any tutorials yet, but I know there are some galleries of different ways people made their tins. I got an altoids tin yesterday, lined the bottom and sides with some felt, and sometime today I'm going to figure out how to cut it to allow cables to go into the Micro while it's in the case.

I would wait until you get your Micro until you do anything though, just to make sure you get the correct measurements.

Jan 30, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.caliente
I don't believe there are any tutorials yet, but I know there are some galleries of different ways people made their tins. I got an altoids tin yesterday, lined the bottom and sides with some felt, and sometime today I'm going to figure out how to cut it to allow cables to go into the Micro while it's in the case.

I would wait until you get your Micro until you do anything though, just to make sure you get the correct measurements.

I just did an unscientific measuring by sticking the micro in the tin, using a pencil to mark how wide I thought I should make the hole, and scissors to cut it. I originally brought out some heavy duty metal cutting tools, but I soon realized the tin is not made of titanium. Scissors work fine for making the hole.

Jan 30, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 255
Wouldn't all the felt make the HD heat up too much? Perhaps that could be a reason why so many people complain about there broken hd mp3 players.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 255
i doubt it would be any different than putting it in a coat pocket or pants pocket.

to make the case just buy some felt from a craft store and hot glue it to the bottm of the case (spread the hot glue evenly with a popsickle stick)

cut the tin where ever you want with scissors, tin snipps, wire cutters ans insert mp3 player

... theres your guide

(btw nice name, those books were really good)

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 255
I found it really wasn't difficult to just eye it and make pencil marks. Then, cut along the lines, just of the bottom half of the tin, not the lid. It doesn't come down far enough to get in the wires' way, which is very lucky (I keep thinking that Creative planned the size and locations of everything so it would fit perfectly
icon10.gif
) Also, you may not want to cut off the whole side. I left a few millimeters so I could fold it down. I folded all the cut edges so they wouldn't make any scratches.

I'm not aware of any actual tutorials.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 255
1. Get a case for your micro.

2. Eat all the candy inside

3. Make a hole near the center of the case using a dremel or a pair of metal cutting scissors.
164_6499_resize.jpg

4. Get some thin, soft material. This will be used as the padding for your ZM.
164_6497_resize.jpg

5. Put the case on to of the material and use a pencil to trace around it. Do the same for the sides.

6. Cut your template out.
164_6500_resize.jpg

7. Place the template into the case. It should fit pretty well.
165_6501_resize.jpg

8. If you want, do the same for the lid so your screen will be protected too.

9. Put your ZM in its new home.
165_6502_resize.jpg

10. Enjoy!
etysmile.gif

zen3.jpg

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 255
It is also possible to have that hole at the top bigger so that everything fits, not just headphones: mine

My favorite so far: Cyclone's case. This one uses playing cards, electrical tape and a rubber eraser instead of some sort of cloth material. Very stylish and cool. Propably easier to make too.

Also, one person made holes in the front: A person on the nomadness board's. Personally I think this defeats the purpose of the case since the vulnerable parts are exposed, but that's IMO.

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
My favorite so far: Cyclone's case. This one uses playing cards, electrical tape and a rubber eraser instead of some sort of cloth material. Very stylish and cool. Propably easier to make too.

awww gee thanks
eggosmile.gif
i made a few changes to it that i like alot but im too lazy to take another picture so those ones will have to do.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 255
I made a couple in different colors and stickers and stuff on the front because I was bored on break.

It cost me about $2 bucks for the mint tin and felt from the craft store. I used rubber cement because hot glue makes the fabric all hard. I recommend a Dremel because you can be really preicise and then polish it off with the grinder attachment. I just I eyeballed and traced to cut the felt and kept adding more until it was totally padded. As for drilling estimated and then kep putting my Zen back in to see if I should move left or right, and it turned out okay. Approximiately 3 layers of felt around the edges for my Myntz case and a layer for the bottom and top. I recommend a thicker case than an Altoids case because my first Altoids case had a problem closing all the way with my headphones plugged in. I only chose to drill one hole for the headphone jack because I liked the clean finish and not having any edges exposed, but I'm weird. To turn it on I just slip it out of the case for a second.

I used this foam scrapbooking material for my second case. I don't know I think the felt looks better. You can see the multiple layers in the foam that I used to make it fit snugly into the case. The neoprene texture of it is nice though. Too bad there weren't different thicknesses.

zenclose.jpg

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 255
For an extreme cut-out mod (including cut outs for the lcd screen and touchpad), how about cutting out the back also so the belt clip sticks out and you can clip the whole thing onto your waistband? Will the belt clip attachment still allow the Micro to fit into a mint case?

I'm going to try that when I get my Micro (on order).

Some people might complain that too much of the Micro is exposed then, but as long as the case covers the sides and the corners and the edges on the front and back, I don't see how a fall would hurt the Micro?

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 255

Users who are viewing this thread

Back