Website building/designing/creation software for dummies?
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or pay someone, and no headaches involved.

Easily designed site and great looking rarely go hand in hand.

Pretty much the only way to go if you don't want to learn how to use a program. I have yet to find a program that works well and is easy to use from scratch.

-Ed

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 20
You did not specify whether you are using a PC or a Mac, I am going to assume it's a Windows PC. Most desktop web authoring software sucks and is either too limiting or so complex (Dreamweaver) that it is actually easier to just learn HTML. The biggest issue I have with them is that they tend to be page-oriented and lose track of the forest for the trees: you are trying to build an entire site, including automatically generated navigation, not a collection of pages you have to tie together by hand.

Your best bet is to use a content management system (CMS), an online application that is designed to manage an entire site. Wordpress (blogging, but can be extended beyond using plugins), Joomla and Drupal are excellent choices, and many hosting providers will include them with an account (not to mention free hosting options). You can hire a designer to build templates for the exact look and feel you desire, while the system lets you concentrate on the most important thing, writing compelling content.

I would suggest you start with a free blog on WordPress.com » Get a Free Blog Here. If that is too limiting, you can move on to the more powerful systems with their community features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back