Webern and atonalists
Dec 12, 2002 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just begun to discover Webern's music -- I got a collection of the complete works for string quartet and string trio (performed by Artis Quartett Wien on Nimbus) and a collection of orchestral works (Im Sommerwind, Passacaglia, some orchestral pieces, a symphony, concerto, and variations) with Sinopoli conducting on Teldec.

This stuff is very different from the classical music I usually listen to -- things like Brahms' quartets, Mozart quintets, Mahler symphonies. While it has elements that seem to be atonal or amelodic, there is much melody within the music as well. Often it also seems as if the lack of melody creates an emotional melody, so to speak -- the loosely connected fragments of melody express much emotion, and together make up a sort of melody.

Does anyone else feel the same way about Webern? The first exposure I had to atonal music was hearing Schoenberg's Five Orchestral Pieces at the BSO. It was quite amazing -- I liked it and the music moved me, but I didn't know why. No clear melodies, no recurring themes, it was just... right. I sometimes feel the same way with Webern, but there's more traditional elements that seem easy to connect with.

I just wanted to share a bit -- I just sat down and popped in the quartet CD and started listening and it was just amazing. I closed my eyes and the music has just enveloped me. But I'd love to hear what other people think of this atonal stuff as it is a totally new world of music for me.

Dec 12, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I have not been able to get into orchestral atonal music. But then again, I have not really listened to an entire piece, nor have I seen a live performance of one. I think if I spent some time with the music, it might grow on me a bit more. I used to be the same way with minimalist composers like Steve Reich, Terry Riley, and Phillip Glass. Listening to just snippets does not do justice to the music. As well, I have to be in a certain mindset or frame of listening to fully enjoy such works.

The only real atonal exposure I have is during an intro music class I took, and the TA only played about 5 minutes of it. To me, it just sounded like an interesting abstraction, but I could not be fully absorbed by it. Perhaps I should give it another shot...

Incidentally, what brought you out to the BSO performance that night? Did you make a concience decision to go check out atonal music, or was it more like you have a season pass?

Dec 13, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 4
It is impossible to like atonalists after listening to snippets, and especially in a classroom audio set-up (I have heard things for the first time in some Williams classrooms with JBL speakers placed about ten feet above my head). If you're a big classical fan I think it's worth taking out a CD or two from the library or borrowing from a friend and giving a good listen.

I was at the BSO because my parents bought tickets and I was happy to listen to something new -- despite having heard snippets of Schoenberg before and hating his music. I guess you could say that my conscience told me to go -- you know, to give the guy another chance.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, I guess your conscience was right. Good for it!

Actually, one of the atonal snippets played in class was from a Shoenberg opera, featuring sprechstimme (a speak-sing delivery of the lyrics). My initial impression was:

o_O

But nowadays, I'm giving everything a chance. Even super-pop music! Because the worst kind of mind is a closed one.

I will probably stop by the library tommorrow and pick up a few CD's. Unfortunately, my library only lets me take 4 at a time (my old neighborhood one would let me take 10 at a time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back