Web / website design advice needed
Nov 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
Could someone please give some advice/pointers on how to proceed on a small website project.

The bit I'd like advice about is how to create a simple site would you could navigate by clicking items inside (an image of) a room. So imagine you have a photo of an small office room and the usual items, like a desk with a phone and calendar on it, a chair, a book case, a bin, etc. This would would be the main page of the website and you'd go to other pages or more information by clicking the objects in the room.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, could you get in touch to provide a few pointers please?

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm no expert, but I know there are several ways to accomplish this. The old school way was to use an image map. Most good web design tools (eg Dreamweaver) have tools to help you define the regions on the image and the url for each region. Another way to do it is to cut your big picture into smaller pieces that fit together perfectly and appear to be one big picture. Each image (each piece) can have a link around it. You can also use CSS, which is probably the more modern way to do it. Here's an example: http://www.frankmanno.com/ideas/css-imagemap/

Finally, there's also Flash - but that requires you to be able to develop and deploy Flash applets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back