wearing the e5
May 4, 2004 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pretzel

Head-Fier
hey guys i just got my e5 from idealsound.
I find wearing the e5 quite uncomfortable. Does everyone actually have the cord running down their back? For those who use a portable, do you have it in your back pocket? I just find this inconvenient as when you sit down on a chair you cant really lean back because the cord is there.
Boy did i have trouble putting these on... lmao
Anyway, hearing from you other e5 owners will be great! Any tips for putting on the e5 or wearing them? I just wish they were the same style as normal buds like the ex71.
regards
Simon.

May 4, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 22
i described my initial experience of getting the e5's in my ears as "doing jigsaw puzzle with my ears as my eyes."

yeah, the first time with these things is really, really embarassing. anyone watching you (i did it in lecture hall) will laugh their ass off while you look like an idiot.

as far as the wire being there when you sit down, i just push it over to the side or sit it on my shoulder or something. i never found that to be such a problem with the e5's.

what i didn't like was the length of the memory cable. i found it to be too long. it helped the e5's up and over my ears, but the memory wire kept making the cables want to go up too high, so it was difficult to make it sit on my ear. what i did was peel 2/3 of the memory wire away and i have been very pleased with the extra comfort and better fit.

here's some information on how to relatively safely mod the e5 memory cable in case you are interested (6'th post from the top, mchurgin's):

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...2&page=2&pp=25

May 4, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 22
What do you think of the sound? Just got mine from idealsound too.. 1st impressions are good so far..not super duper great but good. Not sure if I like them better than my ety's yet or not. Love the bass and I love the behind the neck thing cuz they feel really out of the way when moving and such. Gonna give it plenty of time though to decide if I love them or not. Planned on selling my ety's here right away..but gotta give the e5's more time before I do that...just curious what you think of the sound.. Good luck..

May 4, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 22
I've got myself an E5 brand new, it will come in a couple of days. I will spend some time with it...longer than few hours. I will do a review here and probably sell the E5 on head-fi. I will never sell my etys NEVER
etysmile.gif

May 4, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 22
I would never have use for two canalphones I listen too pretty much the same type of music all the time..and though I love my ety's..I always wished for more bass with them. Just a personal prefference. So I hoped to take a listen to the e5's and just freak over them..but so far I like them alot , but not sure about love.. But then my ety's took advice from a few here before I loved them so I am spending plenty of time first. I will either send the e5's back or sell the ety's.. time will tell

May 4, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 22
I choose to wear the cable down my back - usually under my shirt. I wear my PAD on my waist. I have never had any issues with this. I do sometimes feel the crossover piece if I'm leaning back in a chair. I don't often lean back so it really isn't much of an issue for me.

May 4, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 22
see - i came from the shure sound (i had the e3's before i got the e5's.)

for you, coming from the etys sound and being accustomed to the sparkling highs, i can see being a bit disappointed with the e5's. not hearing the etys until long after i got my e5's, i was not able to be let down in this respect, because i did not know what i was missing.

when i first heard the e5's i thought they sounded great, but as i spent more time with them, they certainly grew on me and only after i modded the memory wire and the triflange sleeves did i truly feel that i was getting the most out of my e5's and my ipod.

if you like the etys already, i would advise not selling them. the e5's do not replace them in terms of ability for separation and high end clarity, if that's what you like. however, if you grow to like the shure sound as much as i do, unless you listen to a lot of classical, then i could see you selling your etys... and taking that money to pick up some prophonic 2-x's or ue-10's.

May 4, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 22
yes...but only in a figurative sense.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 22
right now im not too pleased with the bass impact that everyone talks about. One of the main reasons why i purchased these was because the mini ipod wasn't giving me enough bass, and the e5 was supposed to remedy this. But its not to say the e5 doesn't have bass, but the ipod. I tried the e5 out of my md player and loved it. I just wish the ipod EQ didn't distort
frown.gif

off topic, but whats the karma like in the bass department, and size? Size is pretty important to me (the size of the ipod mini is great, i dont like anything bigger though).

May 5, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #12 of 22
are you sure you're not using one of the limited edition ipods that comes with "no bass" standard?

seriously, the bass is incredible on my ipod with the e5's and i don't even use lossless files.

i'm surprised to hear about your experience. you're not using an ipod mini by any chance are you?

May 5, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 22
maybe the mini's output is not the same as the regular ipods...

i know some people have a regular and mini ipod...what's the deal?

bangra - you got e5's and both ipods right?

May 5, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzel
right now im not too pleased with the bass impact that everyone talks about. One of the main reasons why i purchased these was because the mini ipod wasn't giving me enough bass, and the e5 was supposed to remedy this.

Which sleeves are you using? Are you getting a good seal? Is outside noise almost completely attenuated -- if someone stands 5 feet away from you and speaks to you at a normal conversational level, can you understand them without looking at their lips? Bass depends hugely on getting a good seal...a crappy seal and you will get almost none, an OK seal and you'll get OK bass, a great seal and you'll get great bass. If you're using the flex sleeves, try the foamies. If you're already using foamies, try a larger size of foamies. The foamies are more comfortable than flex sleeves IMO anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back