wearing open air headphones in public:a nuisance or not?
Dec 25, 2005 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

schwarzenneger

500+ Head-Fier
often we see and hear other peoples music and are disturbed by it especially if their too loud and the listener is unaware of this.how do others show respect when wearing open cans in public or do they care?we as headfiers especially me as im not an older member have probably thought about this subject once in a while.whats the solution to respect others who can hear your music?reduce the volume or just wear closed headphones out and about.i'd like to know other members opinions on the matter.thanks and merry xmas to all:
basshead.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 23
i think it's best not to use Grados in public because it is rude. That's why I sold my SR225's. Most people probably will be offended by the harsh words in your music.

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 23
I use grados in public.

I turn them down to the extent that it wont be audible at 1m.

I find that in all situations you can still hear the music perfectly well while having it quiet enough that no one else can hear.

If the room is silent then you dont have to turn it up very loud since there's no external noise to overcome. If the situation is noisy, then although you have to turn it up to overcome external noise, that external noise will prevent other people from hearing you're music if you're listening at a good volume.

I'm never really had any problem with this. I just spent a number of nights in a silent hospital with my grados and was able to listen at a very enjoyable volume. Even in the dead of night the friend in the bed next to mine would tell me he couldn't hear anything.

On a noisy bus, no one can hear my grados over the sound of a bus, but i can still hear my music fine.

Turning up music loud enough that others can hear is bad anyway. I now have tinnitus, and you dont want it so keep the volume down!

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 23
Nuisance, if the person is playing them too loud, esp. in a non-noisy setting (doesn't have to be particularly super quiet).

The basic rule 'respect others and they shall respect you' applies here as well.

Noisy buggers will only get scorn from me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 23
Going up and down in lifts is embarassing with open headphones. Also, the shear size of most hi-end open headphones makes everyone wonder which planet you come from! I would put myself in the slightly self-conscious category, so I rarely ever use open headphones in public.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 23
Headphones in public? That's why I have my e5 with me. It make not much sense to me for striking the best possible sound even on the move.

And I do often wonder which planet's people wear full-size open air cans in a lift, not to mention its quite anti-social if everyone in the lift could hear the music.
orphsmile.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
Turning up music loud enough that others can hear is bad anyway. I now have tinnitus, and you dont want it so keep the volume down!

Can't agree more. What makes me sad is all these people with their iPod buds that you can hear from across a room. I'm paranoid over hearing loss so in public I wear closed 'phones (nothing great: Sony MDR-V500s) and keep them really low. Yes I at times compete with noise, but at least I'll be able to hear in 30 years!

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 23
Actually, I am fine hearing other people's music played through their open headphone in public.

There is already enough noise at the outside environment, and I think this extra musicality can be just treated as another noise. Also, I think most commuters are fine with that too.

I have seen a girl carrying the amp in the back bag, and listening to Stax. I actually quite happy to see that.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz

Funny, I have tested my phones to see how loud they would be to other people. I hooked them up to a portable player and set the volume to what I consider a resonable level. I then put the heaphones on a roll of paper towels and stepped back 5-10 feet, to see how audible they would be to people around me, in an indoor environment (work/office). I was surprised at how loud it was.

So either I'm deaf (and the test is invalid becuase the volume was waaaay to high during my test), or the average open headphone leaks quite a bit of sound, even at "normal" listening levels.

I think it's the latter.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 23
I used to think that any open cans were a "no-no" in public; I still do, when it comes to quiet places. But nowadays with seemingly everyone yakkin' away on cellphones, I doubt it matters much in the noisier environs. Still, i prefer IEMs when I know I'll be mixing in public - but at work, I'll just go with KSC35s.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 23
You must listen at ridiculous volumes because I just moved my grados six inches forward of my head and couldn't hear a thing anymore.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 23
Let's make a deal with the loudspeaker guys!

We will be more considerate if the guys in the rice-burner cars that play their music so loud that it shakes the windows in your house from 1 mile away, and drive down the street at 2AM sunday mornings be more considerate and turn thier music down as well. Also, for the J$^#&@@s that make drug deals on their cell phones during a climactic part of a movie I paid $8 to watch promise to stop doing that as well.

Yeah... like that's gonna happen. Watch me hold my breath.

On a bit of a more serious note: I feel there are definately public areas where it would be very inconsiderate to listen to loud leaky headphones, like a library, museum, classroom, etc..., but that should just be common sense. Out and about in a normally noisy environment, I think it is fine to listen to your phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back