Wearing IEMs on a plane?
Nov 29, 2011 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NoahZ

Head-Fier
In the coming months I'll be doing a little bit of flying. My headphone selection currently consists of my Shure SE215K IEMs and my Ultrasone PRO 550 cans. The Ultrasones, as much as I love them, are gigantic. Not fit for travelling gigantic. It's not so much the appearance that's a problem, as it is having a pair of headphones and carrying case that are almost as big as my carry on bag.

So my question is, are there any possible issues with wearing deep in ear headphones like my Shure SE215K on an airplane? My only concern is really that with the pressure change, having earbuds in could become painful or even damaging. Am I just paranoid, or is there generally the possibility for a problem here? 

Thanks so much for any advice, I'm doing this far in advance so I know if I'll need to start looking for a pair of more portable on-ears during the holidays or if my Shures will be useable in the air.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
In the coming months I'll be doing a little bit of flying. My headphone selection currently consists of my Shure SE215K IEMs and my Ultrasone PRO 550 cans. The Ultrasones, as much as I love them, are gigantic. Not fit for travelling gigantic. It's not so much the appearance that's a problem, as it is having a pair of headphones and carrying case that are almost as big as my carry on bag.

So my question is, are there any possible issues with wearing deep in ear headphones like my Shure SE215K on an airplane? My only concern is really that with the pressure change, having earbuds in could become painful or even damaging. Am I just paranoid, or is there generally the possibility for a problem here? 

Thanks so much for any advice, I'm doing this far in advance so I know if I'll need to start looking for a pair of more portable on-ears during the holidays or if my Shures will be useable in the air.

IEM's are actually the best choice for airplane travel. I haven't heard of any ear pressure problems. When you yawn or extend your jaw downwards, your ear releases any extra air.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
IEM's are actually the best choice for airplane travel. I haven't heard of any ear pressure problems. When you yawn or extend your jaw downwards, your ear releases any extra air.

I've never had a problem wearing IEMs on a plane. I've used Shure's, Ety's, etc. None of them caused me any issues.

Wow thanks for the super fast replies. Awesome, I'll be sticking with my beloved Shures then (and if I do buy any new on-ears they'll be something like some sr60i's/sr80i's for home use haha, but I probably would've done that anyway. I don't have to look for something small and portable and probably dissatisfying, is the moral of the story).

Thanks for the info and assistance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back