Wearing custom in ear headphones at work
Aug 30, 2014 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ides

New Head-Fier
I work in an open workspace where it is common and accepted to wear headphones. I wear them myself at least 4-5 hours a day. My TF10's recently broke and the only way to reliably salvage them is to reshell into custom. However I'm concerned about how well these will work for my planned usage of them. I put in and take out my headphones on average at least once every 15-20 minutes. With my TF10's that's pretty easy. How much more of a pain will that be with customs? And will the sound isolation be a thousand times more complete? Last, I've had fit issues with multiple brands of IEM's. The medium silicone tips from UE fit great, but I failed to get a good fit with any of the included tips with the Shure SE215 or Klipsch S4i. Does that mean my ear may possibly prove difficult for a custom?

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 2
Last, I've had fit issues with multiple brands of IEM's. The medium silicone tips from UE fit great, but I failed to get a good fit with any of the included tips with the Shure SE215 or Klipsch S4i. Does that mean my ear may possibly prove difficult for a custom?

Actually, this is precisely why one would benefit from a custom IEM, since it will be customized for your ear. However, as withanything that doesn't have a relatively simple universal mold to work from, you might encounter some issues. Let's say your ear canals are more irregular than average, with lots of areas that have "bumps" outside of the generall smoother area that a universal tip would cover. If the ear impressions were not done properly and one of them gets out of shape enough, then the whole fit won't work anymore as it might produce some gaps that at the very least can reduce isolation and at worst you might feel that they don't sit properly in your ear (ie the IEM might move around in there a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back