Weakest Link?
Aug 23, 2010 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

willthong

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, my portable rig as of now is as follows:

Sansa Fuze (Rockboxed) -> Fuze LOD (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sansa-Fuze-MP3-Line-Out-Dock-LOD-Cable-7N-Silver-Plated-/280550479263?pt=Car_Amplifiers) -> PA2V2 Portable Amp -> Audio Technica ATH-ES7 cans

Everybody says that a rig is only as good as its weakest component...does anybody know which part of this setup is the weakest?  As in, if I were to upgrade any part of it or more than one part, what would be best?  I have about £300/$400 to play with, but I don't need to use it all...

My criteria are:

1. Listening to jazz (a bit of rock thrown in too)
  2. Must be portable
  3. Any part of the rig can be changed...I really don't mind
  4. I am happy with the way my rig works at the moment, but probably the change I'm looking for is tighter (not louder, just tighter) bass, as well as crisper mid-range in general
  5. Cans must be on-ear/over-ear (although from what I've read, over-ear tend to be too big, right?) - no IEMs please

Any advice would be appreciated!  (thanks in advance)

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Sell the Fuze and get a Cowon J3.

Have you heard a fuze line out from the special connector? I haven't but it could easily be better that way. If he's not at least using lossless, I think that becomes a bigger issue. No problem in doing both.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
its funny how i can now tell who wrote a post without reading the name :D

All the best writers have their unique voice!

as for Fuze line out, no i haven't heard it, but I really can't imagine its a massive improvement. The Fuze and Clip+ are ok, but having owned both (and still owning the Clip+ means I can AB), the J3 just wipes the floor with them. They're quality purchases for the cost, don't get me wrong, but all the Sansa love that goes on mystifies me.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 12
Well regardless if the J3 is better than the lod or not I still find the biggest improvement would be upgrading the phones and/or getting better quality files if not already. If there's low quality mp3 files I'd get some better ones before upgrading the phones.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Well regardless if the J3 is better than the lod or not I still find the biggest improvement would be upgrading the phones and/or getting better quality files if not already. If there's low quality mp3 files I'd get some better ones before upgrading the phones.

Sure, but upgrading file quality doesnt cost any money!

No idea about the phones as dont do cans. I look like a dumb melon with them on.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Well it could if you don't have the CD's :p Although you just reminded me to rip some of the new CDs I got into flac just now :)

ES7 are pretty cheap portable cans by Audio Technica and there are much betters ones than those.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys!

Well, I'm pretty much 100% FLAC/Apple Lossless now (I still have a couple of albums in mp3 but no biggie).

My LOD comes out of the same connector as I use for charging and USB syncing...I assume that's the special connector.

I'll look into:
a) Cowon J3 and
b) Superior cans

(not necessarily in that order)

Incidentally, any suggestions on cans, considering what I put in the first post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back