Weakest link recommendations
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 4
You have a descent desktop set up with planar and dynamic headphones. Can you tell us how happy you are with your current set up and budget? Depending on the perspective, you have an entry level planar from several years ago and slightly older generation dynamic headphones designed from nearly two decades ago. They are still confident pairs of headphones, but with the recent advances in technologies, there are more options Are you happy with the bass of HE 560 or sound stage of HD650? If you are listening to classical music, jazz, and vocals, you current set up should be fairly good. However, if you are listening to more modern and dynamic pop/hip-hop/rap/techno songs, you could look to add a pair of headphones with more details/sound stages and/or little more power/punch especially at lowend (bass).

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 4
You have a descent desktop set up with planar and dynamic headphones. Can you tell us how happy you are with your current set up and budget? Depending on the perspective, you have an entry level planar from several years ago and slightly older generation dynamic headphones designed from nearly two decades ago. They are still confident pairs of headphones, but with the recent advances in technologies, there are more options Are you happy with the bass of HE 560 or sound stage of HD650? If you are listening to classical music, jazz, and vocals, you current set up should be fairly good. However, if you are listening to more modern and dynamic pop/hip-hop/rap/techno songs, you could look to add a pair of headphones with more details/sound stages and/or little more power/punch especially at lowend (bass).
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty happy with the setup. The HE 560 was a recent purchase and I think the soundstage and clarity are significantly better than the HD650s. I am actually having a hard time determining what I like about the 650s besides being easy to listen to. I primarily listen to classic rock, prog rock, and indie/folk with a spattering of jazz and classical. Is there a headphone that would compliment these two by providing a 'different' listening experience for under $800? I know this is kind of a nebulous question, just looking for suggestions.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 4
If you can find a used pair of Audeze LCD-X for about $800, it represents near polar opposite of HE560. HE560 sounds pretty decent for the current market price (around $200-250 used in US), but it is a very old planar technology by Hifiman's standard, where things are constantly updated with different version numbers on its construction, materials, and tweaks.

HE560 lacks bass, impact, and energy, also sounds fairly thin and sterile. These aren't necessary a set of bad traits, but rather provides neutral to clean details of the music. However, these traits are not representative of all current planar headphones can offer. You can eq the HE560, but its presentation is rather too polite for planar.

IMHO, folks buy planar headphones for one or more of three reasons, 1) detail retrieval, 2) lush, warm, intimate mids and articulate bass, 3) exciting and hard energy in their presentation, 4) spacious and airy presentation with sound stage. I think LCD-X should provide 3, 1, and 4 (in the order of importance), and you can sort of get 2 with some added equalization. However, LCD-X is not for everyone since it is fairly expensive and really heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back