Weakest link in my chain?
Jun 28, 2014 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Paspasero

100+ Head-Fier
My current setup is a standalone jdslabs odac to a fiio e09 to sennheiser hd598s. I use Spotify premium, YouTube, and SoundCloud for most of my listening as most of songs don't necessarily have albums. I am constantly craving more from my setup. What is the weakest link in my setup?

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Well I'd like more clarity but I think I'd have to upgrade my source material for that. I also have been noticing I'm more sensitive to sharp highs and mids. I think the bass on the 598s is definitely good for such an open headphone.

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes, upgrading your source material would probably help a bit
wink_face.gif
Although spotify premium isn't terrible and I've listened to a ton of mixes on soundcloud and it's not like the music is unlistenable.

I too don't care for sharp highs, but don't think I've ever noticed anything along the lines of sharp mids.

I'm not sure I'm the right person to steer you in any direction though, as I did not enjoy the bass of the HD598 at all. We might have totally different tastes in sound signature.

One rule of thumb though that I've found to be true - a headphone will change the sound more than anything in a chain. If you're looking for a different sound all together, a different headphone will be the way to go. Upgrading the amp/dac will refine the sound of your current chain but I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference.

- Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back