Weakest link - aka upgrade time
May 16, 2003 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Leo

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've come back to building upon my headphone rig (after building out my home theater setup). Here's what I currently have and am wondering what would be the most worthwhile to upgrade in this rig:

Sennheiser HD580 (stock cable)
Creek OBH-11 (stock wall wart)
DH Labs Silversonic BL-1 II
AMC CD8 CDP

I listen mainly to jazz (classic like Getz, Evans, Miles, Coltrane, Ellington, etc) and some rock (Gabriel, Police, Pink Floyd).

Comments welcome.

Home Theater rig

May 16, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 13
I haven't heard either, but based on what everyone around here says, maybe the Cardas cables, or maybe the OBH-2 power supply. I have a sort of similar system with stock HD-600 and OBH-11SE, so I will be interested to see what people suggest.

May 16, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 13
Actually I am totaly ignorant of the AMC CD8 cd player but in my experience the source is the most important part of the chain (and unfortunately usually one of the more expensive). The HD580s are going to give you a heck of a lotta sound with or without a cable upgrade.

May 16, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 13
What is it you don't like about it now? Without knowing what you don't like your just going to get upgrade the cheap piece suggestions
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Well the AMC CD8 is fairly old (but it was built like a tank) and I know a better DAC can be had as the ones in it are old technology. So I'm wondering if adding a new outboard DAC (not sure what to look for these days) would be a nice improvement. The CD player does great with redbook.

Also I've read wonderful things about the Cardas 580 cable upgrade but looks like it's backordered at least 2-4 weeks (must be damn popular) at Headphone.com and audioadvisor.com. Any other place carry it where I could get it sooner?

I'm also adding a new can - Ultrasone HFI-650 which is on it's way now.

May 17, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Leo
Well the AMC CD8 is fairly old (but it was built like a tank) and I know a better DAC can be had as the ones in it are old technology. So I'm wondering if adding a new outboard DAC (not sure what to look for these days) would be a nice improvement. The CD player does great with redbook.

Not neccesarily...

My Marantz is 9 years old... and although i've broken the output jacks, so have to wiggle them around to get a consistent sound... the player itself really isn't so bad
biggrin.gif

Being an ex HD600 & Cardas user... i'd say go for the cable... it really does do something magical to the sound
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 13
Well I've gone and updated a few things in the system.

*new* Sony SCD-222ES SACD/CD player
*new* Grado RA-1 amp
*new* Grado SR-225 headphones
DH Labs Silversonic BL-1 Series II IC's

Any recommendations on improvements?

Jun 19, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 13
Well, that would depend on how much you want to spend.

I'd upgrado to the RS-1 since you have an amp to match. I think that would yield the greatest improvement. Then you can start cable rolling to tailor your sound.

After that, you can get back to your source again... mod, external DAC etc.

I'm running a 555ES, and am starting to become dissastified with it's redbook playback. I'm awaiting markl's review of his sacdmod unit and looking into some affordable DACs.

Jun 19, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 13
Leo: Actually, I think you'd best upgrade the amp. Maybe to a Corda HA-1 MkII or something in that range. I'd expect quite a bit of improvement by that - in terms of refining the sound.

Duncan: Why don't you open the Marantz and replace the standard jacks by WBTs, btw?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back