Weak dollar good or bad for headfi?
Nov 26, 2007 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
I've started investing in some stock with moderate success while head-fi was down. During that time I was wondering how the cheaper dollar would affect the 'head-fi economy' because technically speaking, a used headphone, amp or source overseas in europe or asia could actually accumulate value relative to those in the states. I realized that if I were to sell my pricier equipment like a rsa raptor, then the l would probably have to sell at a loss.

will non US citizens purchase more in quantity or upgrade to higher models? would the cheaper dollar cause an increase in CONUS only goods in the fs section?

I'm sure this falling dollar thing is a short term deal. it probably wouldn't change in value as drastically as it did recently. but if it does again, what would happen?

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 24
Not sure I agree about the short term nature. With a lower dollar, we might be able to manufacture more things. But that only happens if it the peso... errr... dollar goes down and stays down. Who knows... Maybe one day China will be buying amplifiers made in the USA like in the good old days.

To answer your question, if you think this is short term, I think prices will mostly track a fixed price in US dollars with only a small percent of the exchange values showing up. It seems that the head-fi market is mostly in the US, so most of the price changes would come about from US buyers and sellers. People outside might see these prices as more attractive and be able and willing to bid higher, which might bring prices higher. From the other side, products made outside the US will be more expensive to US buyers, but these same pressures will make the prices rise less than the exchange rate. If, on the other hand, this change remains long term, prices will have to adjust more.

If you're outside the US and think this is short term, it's a great opportunity to buy stuff from us unlucky enough to be stuck with the US peso. Selling from outside might not be such a bargain.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 24
I dumped most of my greenbacks for gold twelve years ago. Must say, it's paying off. And too think, I was laughed at initially!

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 24
The weak dollar is good for us Europeans who want to buy US products, that's for sure
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The weak dollar is good for us Europeans who want to buy US products, that's for sure
biggrin.gif

Yeah, no doubt about that.
I really have to restrain myself from buying something from US just because it's relatively cheap, because I simply don't need it or can't justify the cost versus usage.

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've started investing in some stock with moderate success while head-fi was down. During that time I was wondering how the cheaper dollar would affect the 'head-fi economy' because technically speaking, a used headphone, amp or source overseas in europe or asia could actually accumulate value relative to those in the states. I realized that if I were to sell my pricier equipment like a rsa raptor, then the l would probably have to sell at a loss.

will non US citizens purchase more in quantity or upgrade to higher models? would the cheaper dollar cause an increase in CONUS only goods in the fs section?

I'm sure this falling dollar thing is a short term deal. it probably wouldn't change in value as drastically as it did recently. but if it does again, what would happen?

Us, Canadians, are loving it. Anything sold on this site is instantly cheaper for us
smily_headphones1.gif
. I mean we pay less than the US prices to Paypal for the items. Its amazing! I can't wait till our dollr hits 15% above so it won't be a couple dollars being saved but a sizeable junk.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Us, Canadians, are loving it. Anything sold on this site is instantly cheaper for us
smily_headphones1.gif
. I mean we pay less than the US prices to Paypal for the items. Its amazing! I can't wait till our dollr hits 15% above so it won't be a couple dollars being saved but a sizeable junk.

x2 on this.

I dropped cash on the UE11 because I'm now paying at par (pretty much).

But it sucks if you're selling, because your USD to (whatever currency) conversion is skewed.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

x3.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

X4

Just bought some HP2 and HP1 to celebrate.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 24
x 5.

But it depends, especially when your economy is so intertwined with the US. I sold my motorcycle website a month ago; in US funds. Had I waited about 10 days my money would've been +$600. Oh well, our Florida vacation will be cheap this winter. Overall, I'm not complaining.

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X4

Just bought some HP2 and HP1 to celebrate.

yeah, outbid me on the hp1! but i didn't think i'd win it anyway, even at $1400!! see what the weak dollar is doing? it's making already outrageous prices on some items even worse. so...NOT good for head-fi, IMO.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dumped most of my greenbacks for gold twelve years ago. Must say, it's paying off. And too think, I was laughed at initially!

unfortunately, if all of us were to do that, Russia and China could dump their gold stock into the market and buy us out. Going back to the gold standard kind of is a joke.

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 24
I think the collapse of the housing market will have a much harder impact on Head-Fi. The "wealth effect" that drove a lot of the consumerism of the last five years is disappearing (e.g. Black Friday per person sales were down by 6% this year), and that could have a real impact on hifi vendors. Of course, maybe the effect will be positive for the low and medium-end headphone market, since it's generally more affordable than a full speaker rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back