WE WON!!!!!
Oct 12, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #61 of 105
Yeah, that was a heartbreaking loss but a typical good Clemens start -- trouble in the first but then smooth sailing from then on. It was really disgusting to see the way Pedro acted with the apparently intentional bean and then the threat toward the Yankee dugout (when he pointed to his head) and then Manny's anger at a pitch that was not all that close to his head.

The fan in the eighth, it turns out, was a Sox employee. Very strange...

Voodoochile, I hope you had a good time. Too bad they stopped serving the Sammy in the fourth.
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #62 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
i just have to say two things...
WOW!!! what a bunch of immature people and...
i hate Clemens, and i will always hate him for the **** he stirs up.

Are you refering to something you perceived he did today, or his reputation, and what he's done in the past? Does this mean you also have a dislike for Martinez as well?

Just a bad, bad day today for baseball. Unfortunate is a good word to describe today.

Oct 12, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #63 of 105
as far as Clemens goes, he's always been ONE of the worst sore losing, bad tempered, most immature people in the major leagues. he just has a bad attitude towards others, and he always causes and is at the center of all the fights he's ever caused, which are so many it's not even funny. it's like, it's always eye for an eye with him. unfortunately, a lot of baseball players today do not think this way anymore because it gets you in trouble and the umps no longer take anymore immature fighting between teams...although, surprizingly, they did today
confused.gif

Clemens just has always been unable to take responsibilty for his immature actions.
Pedro also had no right to do what he did today and i've lost a lot of respect for him. he could have ended some ones career today, but did he take that into consideration, probably not. it makes me happy though that more and more ball players and teams are moving away from this "eye for an eye" mentality now a days, and i think all teams should follow this type of behavior.

Oct 12, 2003 at 12:11 PM Post #64 of 105
I hear what you're saying, and agree to a point about Clemens. Just to be fair though, I don't ever remember Clemens taunting another player and pointing to his head or something to that effect. I also think when refering to Clemens in this manner, you have to include Martinez in the same breath, and have had to for some time.

I do believe in the players policing themselves though.

If Pedro "stood up" Garcia and got him off the plate, I'm OK with that. That's baseball. But you can't really argue that Pedro was trying to even go high and tight with him. He went to hit him. Throw the ball lower and that's a different story.

Manny was looking for something though. He never got settled in the box, and really never saw where the pitch ended up, and overreacted. Maybe he was trying to create a scene, and get Clemens tossed (probably not though, I don't think he's that smart.)

Pedro just acted like a punk out there today though. It's really sad.

Just a bad day all around.

Oct 13, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #65 of 105
Pedro is a jackass.
Clemons is a jackass.
Manny started it all. He is most at fault.
Pedro should not have pushed Zimmer over.
Zimmer should not have been in Pedro's face.
With that out of the way. Go Sox!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #66 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
I hear what you're saying, and agree to a point about Clemens. Just to be fair though, I don't ever remember Clemens taunting another player and pointing to his head or something to that effect. I also think when refering to Clemens in this manner, you have to include Martinez in the same breath, and have had to for some time.

Clemen's beaned Mike Piaza in the head and later threw a broken bat at him, which is worse than what Pedro did last night. However, in the game last night, Clemens acted like a bigger man and Pedro and Manny acted like little children.

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #67 of 105
Zimmer attacked Pedro, so I don't fault Pedro for throwing the old windbag. I guess part of this curse is making the Sox act as stupid and prissy as the Babe himself was.

Oct 13, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #68 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by Jacobh
Clemen's beaned Mike Piaza in the head and later threw a broken bat at him, which is worse than what Pedro did last night. However, in the game last night, Clemens acted like a bigger man and Pedro and Manny acted like little children.

I STILL don't believe Clemens meant to hit Piazza in the head. For one thing the pitch was thrown in a spot in order to stand him up (similar to what Clemens threw later in the game on Saturday). And secondly, the pitch to Piazza hit him in the hand first and then defleted to his head. Unfortunte yes, and I'm sure it was meant to make Piazza uncomfortable in the box, but not meant to hit him in the head.

Pedros' pitch it can be argued that it was indeed headed for Garcia's head, based on where it was thrown.

And the bat wasn't thrown at Piazza. I was at the game sitting upstairs on the first base line. It was thrown way ahead of Piazza, then bounced towards him as he was running.

Besides, Clemens never taunted him or anyone else in the opposing dugout that I remember. which was my point.

Oct 13, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #69 of 105
It was much more like a Bruins game than a Sox game.
Seriously, the tension was so thick... it was almost uncomfortable. As for Manny- yeah, I think he was looking for some action, but OTOH, I'd have been more than a bit nervous to step up to the plate with Clemons out there scowling back. He was all but foaming at the mouth! He actually did well to stay relatively cool. I was wondering what kind of action there would be outside Fenway, but it was not much more than usual.

As for Pedro and Zimmer... I would agree that perhaps Pedro was unprofessional to be gesturing that way, but it is still gesturing. For Zimmer to step out and go after Pedro was just plain stupid- especially for a guy who has been in the game as long as him. I though Pedro dealt with him pretty reasonably. The guy would have nailed him otherwise.

So, it was a pretty hot day overall, but as entertaining as it was, kind of a shame that they couldn't focus on the game a bit more. You could see the Sox start unraveling a bit after the incident. I'd love to see them win again tonight and tie things up again.

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile
It was much more like a Bruins game than a Sox game.
Seriously, the tension was so thick... it was almost uncomfortable

It looked really ugly on TV, a bad day for everyone, and then the Sox lost
frown.gif

Was it fun to be there?

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #71 of 105
Yes, it was still a good time.... but it would have been better if they just played a good game of ball. And won, of course.

Plus, I got to see the back of Jennifer Lopez's head. woohoo
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #73 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
They need Nomar to start getting into the ballgame and getting some hits or we ain't gonna win. Whats up with you Nomar?

Yea, Nomar needs to crank it up. Maybe his mind is on the wedding...

Oct 13, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
They need Nomar to start getting into the ballgame and getting some hits or we ain't gonna win. Whats up with you Nomar?

What about Pedro?
When is he going to win a big time game against the Yanks?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #75 of 105
Now that was a game!
Nice work by Wakefield
smily_headphones1.gif

Wish saturday was more like that, although it was nice to see Clemens pitch at Fenway one more time. Nomar's head is definitely somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back