We Were You Once, You Know-- The Brit Box (Rhino)
Mar 2, 2008 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
So there I was, shuffling through CDs in my local used CD store. And over the antiquated sound system suddenly came every off-beat, should've-been-a-hit, classic "indie rock" or "college rock" song from the UK from my own prime of life, say 1988-1993 or so. I couldn't believe it. Unwanted memories came flooding back.
eek.gif

We (who still relate to this set) were once just like you, drawn from the same pool as the typical Head-Fier of younger years of today (and we were you, just a few years ago
biggrin.gif
). This is what we were listening to. If you were in a coastal town with a decent "modern rock" station, you would be well familiar with all these tracks.

There have been quibbles from the UK press that this set glorifies bands that didn't mean much to them at the time. But, believe me, they were big and meaningful here in the States. IMO, whomever compiled this set, must have come from exactly where I come from and been exposed to exactly what I was exposed to. This set tells the tale of exactly what the hip-est and most connected folks were listening to (from the UK) in the late 80's and early 90s.

If you were in a cosmopolitan university during those years, this set was made for you. If you are in a college now, this music will still speak to you; it's made by and for people just like you.

Check it out!

Various Artists - The Brit Box: U.K. Indie, Shoegaze And Brit-Pop Gems Of The Last Millenium - at Rhino

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes, it's a fine compilation. I cannot imagine a singly more enjoyable disc than the first(of four). Really, I hardly play the others. Maybe I just haven't given them the proper time. Also check out other Rhino box sets, Left of the Dial (80s underground) and No Thanks(punk). A Life Less Lived(goth) is good too, if you like that sort of music. Reviews are on pitchfork.

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Looking at the track list, I've heard of some of the bands, but I've heard only one track from this CD

Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized

I discovered Spirtiualized by accident and love it. I've heard bits and peices of other bands on the CD (not full songs, just clips) and they've never done much form. This includes The Smiths, Cocteau Twins, and The Cure.

Is this a CD that would be worth while for me?

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized

Is this a CD that would be worth while for me?

This is a terrific album that has elements from a lot of the bands that you mention. It is a great melange of sounds and moods and truly "flows".

It's one of the few albums that i listen to consistently from start to finish. It also has a cohesiveness that reminds me of radioheads amnesiac though obviously different in tone.

Unfortunately the other spirtualized out put is nowhere near as good.

The box set that the OP is referring too is excellent. It's one that i put on my ipod in shuffle play mode in it's like having a personal radio station back in the day. Good stuff

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 7
the UK indie music listserv i'm on had endless debates when the Brit Box came out, we were constantly bickering about what should've been included/excluded, but was fun nevertheless. IMHO, the meat of the timeframe covers pretty much the basics, but the bread (early and late ends) are kinda haphazard. like... "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode should've been included in the first disc. maybe "Pure" by Lightning Seeds. umm... "Turn" by Travis would've been nice on the last disc. where's Shed Seven? Embrace? Black Grape? why "Tracy Jacks" by Blur and "Ladies and Gentlemen" by Spiritualized, both of which were never singles in the first place.

i wanted to pick it up soooo bad when it came out, and was considering it as a Christmas gift for myself but it's so darn expensive for somehting i have most of the songs of. i'd only be buying it for the liner notes. i have to say the blinking light on the box is really cool though.

and yeah... i wanted A Life Less Lived too when it was released. such cool box sets out there and me with no money.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back