We should be thankful for Beats.
Dec 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
I listen to l classical. All my friends listen to Of Mice And Men, Job for a Cowboy, etc.

Can't stand metal or death core (is that even a genre?)

Deathcore is crap but i fail to believe people could dislike this.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
Yes, what about rock?

Classic rock or i don't listen to it. Rock is generally to slow and boring for me.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #20 of 39
I don't think it's about the sound. I was trying to sell a pair of beats tours to a friend last month, and he didn't want them. Why? they were the ones that go in the ear and nobody would see the logo...even though I told him that they sound better than the solos

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #21 of 39

Quote:
I happen to be the exact opposite of you! I'm going to dodge your HP recommendations. 
ph34r.gif

Your a neutral fan anyways you wouldn't like my v shaped or treble happy headphones anyways.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #23 of 39

Quote:
But I need v shaped HPs to complement my neutral cans. 
biggrin.gif
 Anyway, how's the MS1? I think those are going to be my fun headphones.

They are great. Second best headphone i have for rock/metal.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
They are great. Second best headphone i have for rock/metal.

I've always wanted to try a pair of MS1's. But haven't really token a look into the Grado's (except for my awesome GR10's) after becoming quite annoyed at my SR80i's. Too bright, and way too in your face. From what I have read though, the Grado sound (AKA the PS500) is a lot more smooth, a tad bit more laid back, but still great for rock and and the like.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 39
This is a bad thing to me, akin to the relationship the Fast and the Furious had to cars (And yes that was a terrible thing)

Quote:
I think that the massive marketing operation behind, and resulting mainstream popularization of Beats headphones does the audiophile community a great service, although on the surface it is a major annoyance. This is because they brought to the general population's mind the need for better quality sound than they can get with stock earbuds.

If you don't have short-term memory (or are really young), you would remember that wearing the stock Apple white earbuds used to be a fashion statement, akin to what wearing Beats are today. Back then, for most people the stock earbuds were "good enough". Now that Beats headphones are popular, people realize that they could benefit from doing research and look for better sound than the stock earbuds provide. Basically, they now know that significantly better sound is out there for them to have.
While some just buy Beats (or other "fashion" headphones) and leave it at that, this actually leads many people to start looking at other options like Head-Fi favorites Shure, Audio-Technica, Ultimate Ears, Etymotic, Westone, Klipsch, etc.

TL;DR Beats are good because they make average consumers think about buying better headphones than the stock apple buds, and then they may end up buying good headphones other than Beats, instead of nothing

Thoughts?

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
I've always wanted to try a pair of MS1's. But haven't really token a look into the Grado's (except for my awesome GR10's) after becoming quite annoyed at my SR80i's. Too bright, and way too in your face. From what I have read though, the Grado sound (AKA the PS500) is a lot more smooth, a tad bit more laid back, but still great for rock and and the like.

I haven't heard the PS500, but every Grado I've heard (SR60, SR80, SR225, RS1) has been really bright and in-your-face.  I actually found the RS1 to be the worst of the bunch.  Like me, you're probably just not a fan of the Grado sound.  Then again, I may be wrong; wishing I'd taken the opportunity to try the PS500 as well when I had the chance.

/thread_derail

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 39

Quote:
Metal and bronies. Eh...a weird combination.

No matter what the circumstance metal comes first. \m/ I'm not even that big into the whole pony thing. I just like the memes.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #30 of 39

Quote:
I haven't heard the PS500, but every Grado I've heard (SR60, SR80, SR225, RS1) has been really bright and in-your-face.  I actually found the RS1 to be the worst of the bunch.  Like me, you're probably just not a fan of the Grado sound.  Then again, I may be wrong; wishing I'd taken the opportunity to try the PS500 as well when I had the chance.

/thread_derail

http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-grado-sound-grado-ps500/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back