We need a sticky thread with a list for headphone advice/suggestions
Dec 13, 2005 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

threedd97

New Head-Fier
I think there should definately be a sticky for this. The current one is difficult to navigate and find what you need.

Possibly just get some of the more knowledgable audiophiles here and construct a categorized list of headphones based on price and sub-categorize the price groups into groups of what the headphones are best suited for in a majority of opinions. Useage categories can be Gaming, Music (Rock, Electronic/Techno, Rap/Hiphop, Classical, Blues, Jazz, etc.), Studio, Recording, TV, Movies, etc. Also probably have a section for in-ear pieces/buds or w/e they're called and classify them. I wouldn't go too far as to start rating which ones are better than the other in any of these listings as that's something that is too opinionated and based on personal preference.

Here is an example for gaming headphones, don't knock what I list, it's a lame example:

$0 - $100
Gaming
  1. Sennheiser PC-150 - $45
  2. Sennhesier PC-160 - $80

$100 - $150
Gaming
  1. Audio Technica A500 - $149.99

$150 - $200
Gaming
  1. Sennheiser HD 595 - $160
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 770 - $180

$200 - $250
Gaming
  1. Beyerdynamic DT 880 - $230
  2. Audio Technica A900 - $249.99

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 7
I second that. However, it will be quite difficult to list them all out as there are just so many headphones out there. Also, which headphones are good for what is purely subjective. Eg. Some people say HD600 work well for rock, others think otherwise. Having said that, this would be a great idea if someone experienced would put a preliminary list together and post it. Then we can all chip in our own thoughts and try to reach a consensus.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 7
isn't that the point of headphonereviews.org?

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
isn't that the point of headphonereviews.org?

It's to try and cutdown on the same threads being made over and over and over. Not everybody coming to this forum knows about that review site, plus they don't have reviews for all the headphones, and the ones that do, only have minimal reviews on the more expensive sets.

This list would be what the general consensus would think about what each headphone excels at. There might be 5 people who think one pair wouldn't be good with one thing, but 20 others might think otherwise.

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 7
might just keep a list of 'recommended' and 'avoid' in this supposed thread. Save the real research for another place and for more determined consumers, but have an easy one stop reference for people shopping at a glance. Something like that might have kept me from posting here in the first place
biggrin.gif

If there are a lot of options in a single price point, maybe short descriptions will do, too.

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

It's to try and cutdown on the same threads being made over and over and over. Not everybody coming to this forum knows about that review site, plus they don't have reviews for all the headphones, and the ones that do, only have minimal reviews on the more expensive sets.

yah seriously.

This would be xcellent if it was were a comprehensive list in a vote form... so you'd get a list of the headphones and amps for each price category, and then see how people felt about them, and which ones are the main/safe ones at the same time.

Then, a newb could do searches and read threads more indepth. When I was a newb, I couldn't even decipher general opinion from doing searches because you only get a general sense of things after a few months.

If there is such a list I'd be willing to set up the vote thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back