We hear what we expect to hear
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #46 of 67
The exact same thing happens on guitar forums.

But one brand of strings is night and day better than another! And Brazilian Rosewood sounds better! And a prehistoric walrus bone nut makes all the difference! (even though your fingers on the neck are what creates the chords).

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #47 of 67
1019ABF4-244A-4C15-A1CA-B5B8859597DB.jpeg

You have to wonder the level of science used to make a 1945 Martin which sells for $14K? I mean the truth is guitars are from old science. It’s maybe strange that with all our computers and advancements today, they can’t emulate a 1945 guitar?

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #48 of 67
But one brand of strings is night and day better than another! And Brazilian Rosewood sounds better! And a prehistoric walrus bone nut makes all the difference! (even though your fingers on the neck are what creates the chords).

I have spent my entire life with guitars. Though the whole thing is that when you make a guitar everything matters. But after studying them and how they are made you start to learn that every piece of wood is different. Now they make carbon fiber guitars but with wood it seems there are variations of character. Typically maple and spruce are bright and mahogany is dark. Though if they found a special piece of mahogany they could design and build a bright guitar from it. I remember playing super bright and thin maple hollow bodies in guitar stores. Now yes there can be some expectation bias when you see a maple guitar, but how guitars sound is actually very clear and easy to judge. Wood does matter, but like Hi/Fi it’s the combination of everything involved. I actually now have three mahogany guitars, as I just like it.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #49 of 67
86E8AFDA-5D0E-4F5A-91C8-50FE8FADB62C.jpeg

Above is my favorite and while mahogany the rest is rosewood and ebony. It’s middle toned but is missing some of the grunt of other hollow bodies. The lows are more fluid but it comes together really well in a room with a practice amp even volume with the guitar volume.

40A91FD9-360C-45F9-98B6-78C47188A2B0.jpeg

Another mahogany and rosewood, ebony guitar that is loud and actually bright due to construction elements.

357EC93F-CDFD-465F-AC5B-9E868FD46E32.jpeg

A 21 year old Martin that is the classic mahogany sound, my least favorite guitar, probably needs some work?

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #50 of 67
The father was not the father of the son in the car?

Maurits Cornelis Escher is kind of the legendary artist for that style and I pulled that from the Escher Facebook page. It seems the man was a genius who in his life was very much a first and revealing a number of illusions which have been carried on. Dali is my favorite artist and while he is known as the most profitable artist (for himself) of the 20th century, I can’t help but also see him as a marketing genius. The part of marketing in art is the last place most art enthusiasts want to dwell, yet it is maybe a place where truth sits? But Dali was more I think about dealing with dreams and how in dreams we experience the metamorphosis of objects into new objects unexpectedly. So Dali deals with how we recognize then have re-inspection after cognitions, resulting in a very simple old fashioned form of entertainment.

To me it’s charming that these old fashioned simple mind tricks can still entertain next to what computers are able to do.

My family and I have always been huge fans of Dali. My parents even bought some limited edition signed Dali prints back in the early 1970s that we still have. When I was a child, I used to just sit and look at them, mesmerized. My father also had a couple of Dali coffee table books that I spent countless hours perusing.

Oh, and you haven't figured out the riddle.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #51 of 67
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/peskypesky.130688/

At 6th grade I had college level reading ability but at 16 I attempted to read Dali’s books and could not, as my vocabulary was not up to it. I should maybe attempt his books now?

My current book I’m reading, written by another modern day genius!
4DD682F0-CBE5-4F8F-9ADE-BD841672D2AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #52 of 67
My family and I have always been huge fans of Dali. My parents even bought some limited edition signed Dali prints back in the early 1970s that we still have. When I was a child, I used to just sit and look at them, mesmerized. My father also had a couple of Dali coffee table books that I spent countless hours perusing.

Oh, and you haven't figured out the riddle.

Those lithograph prints always go up in value I understand.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-salvador-dali-forum.592370/

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #53 of 67
A father and son get in a car crash and are rushed to the hospital. The father dies. The boy is taken to the operating room and the surgeon says, “I can’t operate on this boy, because he’s my son.”

How is this possible?

This is one of my favorite riddles that is related to "predictive coding" in a social context.

I had to look the riddle up. Ahh.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #54 of 67

Some of that might be better. The lack of using DBT to determine whether or not it is true does not mean that it's not. It just means that the subjective observations are unreliable.

That being said, how different strings perform mechanically when plucking could certainly bias one to also think they sound better. For instance, some do tend to stretch more.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #55 of 67
The difference between the same strings fresh, broken in and worn a while is much bigger than the difference between brands of strings. I've always wondered what would happen if you strung up a guitar where every other string is a different brand. I'm betting it would play fine.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #56 of 67
I heard not what I expected to hear. About 3 weeks ago the heart of my system, a 20 year old Sony TA-E9000ES Multi-channel Preamp/DAC went silent. I was quite disturbed by this, since the unit features a mix of inputs and outputs I use but are no longer found on today's Pre-Pros. At any rate, realizing the Sony was for the most part receiving input from stereo sources I recognized a 2.1 preamp could replace the Sony. Looking into it, I purchased a 2.1 Parasound P6, hoping it would deliver a sound as I had become accustomed to from the Sony. To my surprise, I did not get what I expected to hear. Instead, I got more low volume detail and a black as coal background. I also got better bass management. So, all in all, the new Preamp is working out nicely. It makes me think, had not the Sony went silent I may have never known that anything better was out there, meaning I did not know I did not know. The point being, enlightenment and exposure are two elements needed to know much of anything regarding the appropriate equipment needed to enjoy recorded music.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #57 of 67
Well since the Sony was dead, there was no way to directly compare the two. Expectation bias usually favors the new item. You just bought it, it's nice and shiny new out of the box. Your mind is going to assume it sounds better. I'm sure it's fine. It really isn't hard to build a clean sounding preamp. That model has nice features. Not inexpensive though. Hopefully, the favorable impression lasts.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #58 of 67
34962649_1965634106832034_1862941171286802432_o.jpg

Guitars are totally expectation bias. Just like hi/fi it's all attitude as you hear what you think you may hear. People get altered at musical events and it alters their expectation bias.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #59 of 67
A father and son get in a car crash and are rushed to the hospital. The father dies. The boy is taken to the operating room and the surgeon says, “I can’t operate on this boy, because he’s my son.”

How is this possible?

This is one of my favorite riddles that is related to "predictive coding" in a social context.
Lol my first guess was he has 2 dads. But I suppose its more likely the surgeon is a woman.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #60 of 67
Lol my first guess was he has 2 dads. But I suppose its more likely the surgeon is a woman.

You got t.

This riddle is a few decades old, from a time before same-sex couples were adopting children. In 2021, it could be the case that the two men were married.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back