WBT Silver VS Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder
Sep 13, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #31 of 38
I find quad Eucetic is very good for SMT soldering especially when building opamps moduels which is my primary use for Cardas Quad.

If your still unsure perhaps get a small amount of each and try both out and choose the one that suits your technique the best. Many places will seel smaller amounts of these higher grade solders.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All ok with me -

Ryan

Great stuff thnx!
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh... mine does not say that on the label. Maybe they've changed their formula or you got a special batch or something.

It was either a special batch or something they only sell to OEMs. I know the company I was doing the work for was using a water soluble flux solder prior to their getting the Cardas.

But it's the real deal alright and came straight from Cardas, and not some reseller.

k

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #34 of 38
Cardas Audio

"We supply Quadeutectic solder in many sizes, with either activated rosin core or organic water base flux. Activated rosin flux is ideal for most applications where the components are not washed after soldering. The rosin is actually a protective coating. The organic water based flux must be washed from the component after it is soldered. Manufactures of boards sometimes use the organic flux to get a really clean look to their boards, however, they must be washed carefully after soldering to prevent corrosion."

- George Cardas

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #36 of 38
LOL Well I guess I will make sure to subscribe to my own threads from now on. I assumed this was a dead topic and I miss out on basically free solder
wink.gif

I ordered 1lb of kester silver bearing since it was such a great deal and I plan on ordering a small amount (50ft) of Cardas quad this week. When I get them both I will try to do a small side by side comparison from a layman's point of view.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #37 of 38
Rosin as a conformal coating? Perhaps, against insects. That's stretching it in my opinion.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by blaken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL Well I guess I will make sure to subscribe to my own threads from now on. I assumed this was a dead topic and I miss out on basically free solder
wink.gif

I ordered 1lb of kester silver bearing since it was such a great deal and I plan on ordering a small amount (50ft) of Cardas quad this week. When I get them both I will try to do a small side by side comparison from a layman's point of view.

Many of these higher grade solders can be purchased in smaller amounts which is great for use in audio circuits.
Let us know how the testing goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back