WAY Overrated CD's
Jul 31, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #91 of 95
I'll glady take any Tool or Radiohead albums off anyone's hands if they dont want them.
tongue.gif

As for overrated albums.. lets see White Stripes' Elephant I say, good cd but not up to the hype IMO.

Jul 31, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #92 of 95
A lot of folks have been listing albums and artists that are very popular. hence, i think the novelty wore off for their albums that we're so heavily discussed, suhc as Nirvana's "Nevermind" or Metallica's earlier material.

Personally, i think mainstream pop music is overrrated, it's very shallow and lacks emotion.

Most of the acts that have been around for a long time become overrated or over-hyped based on their past releases and not so much their current offerings.

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #93 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I just bought a CD that SOOOOO many folks tell me is a "must own" for the proper collection. It's Tool's Lateralus.

Sorry, but at first blush, this album sucks. I'm going to listen to it a few more times, just to be sure that I'm giving it a fair shake, but I don't think it's going to grow on me. Anyone wants to buy it, keep an eye on eBay over the next week or so.

So what are you folks' most overrated albums?

I just bought Tool's "Lateralus." Though it has one or two moments I was thoroughly unimpressed as well. As much as I have liked The Cure through the years, their new album "The Cure" is not up to the pre-release hype. ["...their best since 'Disintegration'..."] I also had read some excellent reviews of "Echoes" by The Rapture, and was completely disappointed. I don't think that this has been a good summer for music.

Aug 2, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #94 of 95
I totally agree with whoever said Aerosmith. I can't think of a single good song of theirs I've heard produced in the last 10 years. And it's sad, too, because to me it looks like a formerly great band just phoning in easy-to-digest poprock for the teenybopper crowd. I wish they'd either challenge themselves (i.e. go beyond such rock classics as "Pink" and "Just Push Play") or stop writing new material.

I do have to jump in for Pink Floyd, though. They really did a lot for album-oriented rock and weren't afraid to do the experimental, the unusual, or the weird. I don't think they are overrated at all. That said, I can understand how it's not everyone's thing. Some of it is too "out there" for some people.

I, on the other hand, really don't get the Jimmy Buffett thing. ZZZZzzzzzz......

I like this thread, though, I'm going to start one for UNDERrated albums/artists

Users who are viewing this thread

Back