WAX: Disgusting, but see your doctor.
Dec 28, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #76 of 98
Well, they dont like to remove all of the wax as it is there to protect your ears. He probably means they aren't clogged, not that they are squeaky clean!

Dec 28, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #77 of 98
You can clean this out yourself, but I didn't know you could until a Doctor did it once for me (and I saw what came out...)

I now have something like this:

http://www.surgicalshop.com/hospital...s_eye_ear.html

It's a rubber Ear Syringe, and it's very easy to do in your shower with water. I do it every 3-6 months with the same result, my right ear is clogged with quite a bit of wax and it cleans it out nicely (sometimes it's quite stubborn though).

I'm sure you can do a quick google search on instructions on howto use them, but it's very safe to do it on your own.

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #79 of 98
i cleaned my ears out with peroxide once, and experienced a very drunk like dizzyness for like an hour after, is this normal? i dont hear much mention of it.

Jan 2, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #81 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cleaned my ears out with peroxide once, and experienced a very drunk like dizzyness for like an hour after, is this normal? i dont hear much mention of it.

Yes - that's perfectly normal and completely harmless.

A part of your inner ear is the vestibular system. The vestibular system is a MAJOR part of your body's balancing control.

Wobbling seas, pressure changes, ear cleansing may sometimes disturb the fluid in the vestibular system causing loss of balance, dizziness, altered proprioception and sometimes nausea.

I personally have never had this problem, but my doctor tells me the symptoms are just like seasickness. You should return to normal within about 2 hours.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #82 of 98
One summer I laid down at the bottom of an 11-foot deep swimming pool. The pressure forced water into one of my ears, behind the wax (and whatever else). It exerted pressure inside my ear affecting my balance, but more importantly I was practically deaf in that ear.

I struggled with this for the rest of that day, thinking that it would pass. It didn't. I called the doctor, and he recommended some OTC eardrops that were glycerin based, along with hydrogen peroxide. I stuck with this regmen for three days to no avail. He then told me to get one of those "bulb" things and try to carefully flush it with warm water.

OMG. The AMOUNT of "stuff" that came out was unbelievable. The texture was like chewed-up soda crackers. No joke. What a relief! I could hear again.

I promptly did the other ear (eventhough it had no problems). Not too much stuff came out.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #83 of 98
I once had a piece of hair inside my right ear and it was apparently touching my ear drums. It made me hear a static like noise whenever my head moved since the hair would brush onto the ear drum. Eventually, I went to a GP - he used a syringe, pumped warm water into my ears and flushed to the hair out. I was actually surprised that no lumps of wax came out. The GP said my ear canals were clean.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #84 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My doctor used this machine that gently squirts warm water in your ears to soften the wax.

Then he used a special kind of tweezers and pulled that large chunk out. Hence the "pop" feeling.

my ears used to be terrible with wax buildup and ear infections - i eventually got the same procedure done several times, but then the earwax buildup issues suddenly ceased. i can still remember cranking my cd player louder due to this, but that was back when i had terrible stock Discman headphones anyway.

i also had tons of ear infections, and those completely ruin listening ability. i remember once playing Mario 64 while laying on my side with some medicine in my ear
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #85 of 98
Thanks for the post on this...

I bought an 'ear cleaning' kit, that includes drops and a ball. I used it today during my lunch hour at work. Tonight I plan to do it again, then tomorrow morning and so on for 4 days. That seems to be the max time according to the directions. So far, today, it seems to almost 'absorb' the liquid that I put into my ear, which is pretty disgusting....

I think I'll make an appointment even after this to get it checked to see how much is inside my ear, and if there is still a lot there then get it taken out by a doctor.

This may explain a lot of problems I've had with my ears, including 'ringing' when in bed, and constant popping I hear.

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #86 of 98
I've always been told to never stick anything in my ear, so I was suprised when I moved to Japan to find out that everyone here cleans out their ears using something like one of these in the photo. I think that most Japanese people probably think it strange (and maybe a little disgusting) if someone doesn't clean all that gunk out their ears.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #88 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by labelbassist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad I read this thread. Does the occasional use of earplugs push wax past the point where it can naturally be pushed out?

Sometimes... but it can't hurt you. As more and more builds up, bigger and bigger chunks will fall out.

It's happened to me. I use my IEM's and ETYplugs all the time.

I think at least 25% of my waking hours, I would either have an IEM or Etyplug in my ears.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #89 of 98
was directed to occasionally add a few drops of peroxide since seeing a doctor isnt always an option for alot of people these days. the peroxide dissolves the wax and it can drain out or work out much easier.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #90 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was directed to occasionally add a few drops of peroxide since seeing a doctor isnt always an option for alot of people these days. the peroxide dissolves the wax and it can drain out or work out much easier.

when you say peroxide, you mean hydrogen peroxide (the 3% stuff) right? there are different peroxides out there, and i thought id clear this up before someone gets hurt
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back