Wavelenght Brick
Nov 20, 2006 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi
anyone know anything about this dac? is it up there with the likes of lavry/Stello/Benchmark? Thanks

most reviews i've read simply talk about the technology and not it's actual sound.

Nov 20, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 13
anyone???.... i either made a good purchase or a very very bad one. someone inform me!

Nov 20, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone???.... i either made a good purchase or a very very bad one. someone inform me!

You're going to decide how good your decision was based on what other people tell you? How does the Brick sound to you so far?

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to decide how good your decision was based on what other people tell you? How does the Brick sound to you so far?

hi
the deal is that i don't have it with me yet... and i sent the guy the money (it was a'gon so i had to act immediately), but i could back out if it's not what i'm looking for... yea, i know it's not an ideal condition, but it was 750 bellow the regular price.

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 13
It's called buyer's cognitive dissonance. Until you hear the unit or someone tells you its fantastic you will not be satisifed with your purchase.

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 13
how good it is is relative to your expectations. but $1000 is a pretty good price to pay for a convenient definitely not bad sounding usb->i2s dac. What bothers me is the tube.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Ha ha ha, 48 minutes after your initial post!
rock3.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but $1000 is a pretty good price to pay for a convenient definitely not bad sounding usb->i2s dac. What bothers me is the tube.

Scott Nixon makes usb-i2s dacs for a lot less money. Can anyone comment on how their sound compare with the brick?

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Hi
anyone know anything about this dac? is it up there with the likes of lavry/Stello/Benchmark? Thanks

most reviews i've read simply talk about the technology and not it's actual sound.

Hi granodemostasa,

Stereophile did a review of the Wavelength Brick and they gave it a class A rating. The measurements were very good. Search the Stereophile website for the review. I bet you will like it.

-David

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 13
I have the wavelength cosine dac and while it's the not the USB version, it is quite nice...very warm, full sound without loss of detail. my favorite dac up to date and i've been through the zhalous, benchmark dac1 and lavry da10.
It's a very nice complement to my electrostatic system.

I haven't heard the brick, but Gordon rankins does make very nice products. Don't think you have to worry about wasting money as there's plenty of people who would buy it if you decided to sell it on audiogon.

There's a review of his consecant dac (the usb version of the cosine dac) that was very positive and made the reviewer a believer of pc-based audio.

One thing I did notice about the cosine was that the tube had a dramatic effect on the sound...I tried several, but while most sounded good...one sounded oustanding. Not a subtle difference...so before you make a final judgement, might want to tube roll a bit.

Nov 21, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 13
i've read it about 8 times over.. again, he says very little as to it's actual sound, and worse in comparison to other dacs.

anyone know what would be considered the most neutral and treble friendly 12AU7 tube out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back