Waveform distortion due to digital clock errors (Including Jitter!): Time and frequency domain illustrations and discussions
Nov 19, 2013 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ab initio

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I found this application note from Agilent discussing some of the issues involved with digitizing analog signals with bandwidth-limited instruments. Included in the discussion are the effects of timing errors (e.g., jitter *gasp*) on the interpretation of the digitized waveform.

I found this while I was shopping for a scope and was trying to figure out whether or not it is worth the $$ for something like a Agilent DSO1102B  with 1 or 2 ADC's vs the larger feature set of something like a Rigol DS1104Z. My understanding is that the value scopes like the cheaper rigols, hanteks, etc..., use something like 10 cheap/slow interleaved ADC's rather than one or two fast ones. If you don't know why I'm talking about interleaved ADCs, read the article! 
wink.gif

This is a good read once you get past Agilent vs Tek bias. There is discussion and example measurements illustrating several types of distortion introduced by timing errors.

I apologize if this has been linked to before---I vaguely remember following a link from head-fi to an app note a year or two ago---but a quick forum search finds nothing. 

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back